Deschutes Jubelale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChshreCat

Reaction score
I just picked up a half case of Jubelale and have to say that this is one of the tastiest beers I've ever had. I wanna make this.

I had it last year, loved it. I'm going to try some of the other holiday beers this year as well.

My father called me the other day from Ptown and asked me how much Jubal I wanted! He just saw it the other day and I am stoked to get my paws on some.

I haven't missed a batch for years. A must have of the Xmas season.

Yep. 2008 just showed up at my Haggen this week. This is my first time trying it. I wanna rub it all over my body.

It might be a thrill to take a Jubelale bath, but it's probably better just to drink it. It'd take a ton of Jubelale to fill up the tub.

I found this searching around...

Jubelale

A ProMash Brewing Session - Recipe Details Report

Recipe Specifics
----------------

Batch Size (Gal): 6.00 Wort Size (Gal): 6.00
Total Grain (Lbs): 15.81
Anticipated OG: 1.073 Plato: 17.8
Anticipated SRM: 24.6
Anticipated IBU: 61.1
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75 %
Wort Boil Time: 75 Minutes

Grain/Extract/Sugar

% Amount Name Origin Potential SRM
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
82.2 13.00 lbs. Pale Malt(2-row) Great Britain 1.038 3
9.5 1.50 lbs. Crystal 130L Great Britain 1.033 130
6.3 1.00 lbs. Crystal 80L America 1.033 80
1.4 0.22 lbs. Cara-Pils Dextrine Malt 1.033 2
0.6 0.09 lbs. Roasted Barley America 1.028 450

Potential represented as SG per pound per gallon.

Hops

Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
1.00 oz. Galena Whole 12.00 32.6 60 min.
0.50 oz. Cascade Pellet 5.75 8.6 60 min.
0.50 oz. Willamette Pellet 4.70 7.0 60 min.
1.00 oz. Tettnanger Pellet 5.60 12.9 30 min.
0.50 oz. Goldings - E.K. Whole 6.50 0.0 0 min.
1.00 oz. Goldings - E.K. Plug 5.00 0.0 Dry Hop
0.50 oz. Cascade Pellet 5.75 0.0 Dry Hop

Yeast
-----

White Labs WLP022 Essex Ale

You son of a *****! I already have 4 batches waiting to be made, the last thing I need is to add another one into it! :mad:

Thank you!

I think that Promash Brew Session is from my web page of my brew sessions. I brewed that in 2003 based from a recipe that Dan Schultz got. He got it directly from brewer at the brewery. Dan's recipe had Crystal 150 instead of 130 and the percentages were slightly different and he did not specify the yeast. I used the WLP022 Essex on it and it did turn out nicely. You could use WY1028 and be please also.

Here is a Tastybrew tread on the subject.

TastyBrew.com | Forum | Winter Warmer

Tom

That stuff will knock you on your @ss. We used to buy kegs of it direct from the pub in downtown Bend. Dangerous to have on tap!

Ahoy hoy,
Just showed up in North Pole Alaska today. Grabbed a case. On sale here for 13.99 a 12 pack.
Am under its....influence....... as I type :drunk:
As Homer would say.....mmmmmmmm Jubelale........
Outstanding brew. Dechutes is one underestimated brewery in my humble opinion.
I toast you all and hope you have a great day!

Tonight, for dinner, I sat down to a steak the size of my thigh, a pile of mashed potatoes the size of my head and a glass of Jubelale. When I was done, I wanted to start over again. :D

I want steak with my jubelale...but will have to settle for a hamburger.
Or, as PeeWee would say from under a table...."HAM..burger......" :p

One of our beer club members has an annual Jubelfest where he gets a keg of Jubelale and we all eat and drink and enjoy the pleasures of the Jubel. It's going to be this Saturday.

mmmmm

The Jubelale fest was last night. One guy brought some old Jubleale's from his stash. We did a vertical tasting from 1992 to present.

The '92 did not hold up too well. It was starting to turn sour. From there, the rest were not too bad, definitely getting better as the years went by. In my opinion, this is not really a beer that ages well. One standout was the Double Jubleale from 2000.

Someone did take a picture of the lineup. It may eventually make it's way out. If so, it will be posted here.

Cheers,
Tom

I've been waiting for it.....still hasn't shown up in Vegas yet.
I tried some last year, and loved it. It must not have sold very well last year, because it was clearance priced towards the end.......3.99$ a six pack.

If you were to enter this in a comp, what category would you use? Can't go into Christmas Ale cause there is no spices. It's not quite an Strong Ale/Old Ale. American Amber seems like a stretch too. Would you have to lump it into the Specialty?

I've been waiting for it.....still hasn't shown up in Vegas yet.
I tried some last year, and loved it. It must not have sold very well last year, because it was clearance priced towards the end.......3.99$ a six pack.
3.99 a sixer!!!! We moved to the midwest a few years ago and I haven't tasted one since. A very sad thing. BEST BEER EVER!!!! Just pulled the recipe post off this string and am going to give it a go. Thank you! I can't stop smiling just thinking about it.

Jubelale is already for sale in the Portland area....I had to taste test three of them last night. sooooooooooo good!

Only Three? SWMBO and I polished off a 12 pack on Saturday night! I think I did most of the polishing though.

I though you said your wife was sick. Just a ploy to get rid of me quick and hoard all the Jubelale to yourself. :D

This is my wifes all time favorite beer.. She practically gets wet when it is released every year.. I am going to try to brew it up this weekend.. I would be curious if anyone else has ever tried to brew it and how it turned out... I will defnitely report unless someone beats me to it.

This is my wifes all time favorite beer.. She practically gets wet when it is released every year.. I am going to try to brew it up this weekend.. I would be curious if anyone else has ever tried to brew it and how it turned out... I will defnitely report unless someone beats me to it.

I plan on brewing it for next winter, probably around march/april time. I love the stuff too, but don't get wet ;)

That is pretty quick for this beer, which will definitely take some time to "simmer down" - I'll bet the batch you make now will be really good and balanced by about... March 2010.

Seriously, this will take a while to condition.

What kind of brewing timeline would you guys recommend for this beer? something like 2 weeks primary, 2 weeks 2ndary and 12 weeks in the bottle/keg?

Now my wife is gettin' all pissy because I told her that this beer may not be ready by Christmas.... damn.. Seriously though, I am strictly an ale guy (1.050 to 1.060 typically) and havent brewed many beers heavier than that..
But why so long an aging for this brew? How long do you guys age your pale ales before drinking?

The real issue with this particular recipe is the marrying of all of the hops - there are six different hop varieties in this beer, all competing for attention. You won't get the smoothness of the actual Jubelale until they've had time to sit down and get to know one another in the bottle/keg for a few weeks.

I know that when I had this year's Jubelale at the end of October at the Deschutes brewery, my thought at the time was, "Wow, this is going to be really good in December!" - Which, frankly, is when a Winter Warmer should be consumed!

Back