Does anyone use Sterisan for sanitization?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joe Camel

Reaction score
Hey all,

I've been having a hell of a time trying to track down Starsan up here in Canada and am not too keen on iodophor b/c of the staining.

I've read a bit about this other product, sterisan, which is a QAC (quaternary ammonium compound) that is used a lot in the food, beverage and dairy industry as a no-rinse sanitiser.

Has anyone out there had success with this product?

Thanks,

Joe

I have a 32oz bottle of Starsan that I purchased from Paddockwood brewing. They shut down thier online ordering site as of March 1st, but you can still order from them via phone. They have the 32oz listed for $38 right now, which isn't bad considering how long it will last you.

Rhino

Rhino17 said:
They have the 32oz listed for $38 right now, which isn't bad considering how long it will last you.
But it is pretty bad considering a 32oz container in the US is about $12... Still, if you store and reuse solution, a 32oz container could last you practically forever, so it could still be cost-effective even at that hugely inflated price...

Joe Camel said:
Hey all,

I've been having a hell of a time trying to track down Starsan up here in Canada and am not too keen on iodophor b/c of the staining.

I've read a bit about this other product, sterisan, which is a QAC (quaternary ammonium compound) that is used a lot in the food, beverage and dairy industry as a no-rinse sanitiser.

Has anyone out there had success with this product?

Thanks,

Joe

You have to be very careful using quaternary ammonium; if used in too large a dose it can be very poisonous to humans and animals. You need to use it in conjunction with test papers to make sure you aren't using too much or too little.

atarlecky said:
You have to be very careful using quaternary ammonium; if used in too large a dose it can be very poisonous to humans and animals. You need to use it in conjunction with test papers to make sure you aren't using too much or too little.

So is beer. (j/k) Seriously though, the active in sterisan is benzalkonium chloride, which is used in everything from antiseptic wipes, eye drops, hospital surface sanitizer, cow teat disinfectant, etc.

The recommended dilution on the website is 200ppm final of a 5% stock, so about 1 tsp per quart which sanitizes in 60 seconds with no rinse. I've just read somewhere that it may impart a flavor so I'll have to do a bit of a taste test. I have some pure stuff in my lab (thank you Sigma), I may just order some DBSA and make my own Star San

Joe, if you are ever down in Calgary, The Vineyard carries Star San. It's no cheaper than Paddock Wood, though.

Back