Flavor Hop Timing and Taste Differences

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cdburg

Reaction score
I'm trying to refine the hop taste in some of my IPA recipes. I still haven't found the flavor I'm looking for exactly. I'm hoping that some of you can share your thoughts on how the timing of flavor hop additions changes the taste profile in the finished beer.

For my 5 gallon recipes, I started mostly with a medium-sized 30 minute addition (.5 to 1 ounce) and smaller additions in the last 15 minutes of the boil (mostly for aroma). I also dry hopped, usually with .75 to 1 ounce.

In the last 6 months, I've stopped using 30 minute additions, focusing mostly on late addition hops (1-3 ounces in the last 10-15 minutes of the boil) and large dry hop additions (1.5 to 2 ounces).

I've found that, while green, the hop taste is great. The beer has depth and a nice hoppy taste. Within 2-3 weeks though, the flavor has diminished quite a bit. It's ok, but not what I want.

Any tips on how I can get a really big hop taste something like Stone Ruination or Racer 5 IPA. Do I need more hops throughout? Should I go back to including a 30 minute addition? Do I need more dry hops?

Back