Cara Munich, Caramel Pils.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stormtracker

Reaction score
Do either of these provide the body and head retention that we know of "Cara Pils" to deliver?

Im assuming and I may be wrong.. Cara Munich and Caramel Pils do the same as Cara pils and additionally imparts some flavor as well?? Can someone here get me straight on this?

Thank you in advance for any input.

ST

Brewsmith said:
Caramel Pils is what you are looking for. Caramunich is much darker.

I was thinking of adding them both to my Dubbel/Quadrupel

Will either or both of them have the same properties as Cara Pils in my beer?

Thank you for the follow up Beersmith. I had a chance to read both of those prior to posting.

The entry that someone made into the Wiki for Cara Munich did not in anyway reference it as an enhancer of body or head retention. Should I assume therefore that it is not?

Information on Caramel pils seems to be lacking that I can find.

So the usage of "Cara" or "Pils" ie, "Cara Munich" or Caramel Pils" does this employ in any way the same or similar characteristics of the "Cara/pils"?

Im hoping someone who knows can elaborate.

Caramunich's basically a crystal malt (around 60L, IIRC). It'll add body, but not necessarily much in the way of head retention. It's mostly used for sweetness, color, and flavor.

Carapils, OTOH, adds virtually no flavor, but enhances body and head retention. They aren't substitutes.

Back