Potassium Sorbate in my fermentation:

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dlester

Reaction score
I know, what the hell? I previously used Potassium to halt any additional fermentation in my Lambic so I could add flavoring juice. Well, I was brewing today and accidentally grabbed the Potassium and add 5 grams, which is enough to halt all fermentation for 4 gallons. I wanted to add Calcium Chloride.

While I have a total of 14 gallons, which is certainly more than the 4 gallons that 5 grams of Potassium would kill, I am going to go for it and add yeast and hope for the best. In my mind, I've screwed up the fermentation. On the other hand, maybe the fermentation will just slow down?

Anyone have experience with Potassium?

As a follow up on my posting, the yeast is happily active and doing their job. I am sure that the potassium has had some negative affect, but according to the air-lock on the fermentation tank, it's fine. Thank God, because that is a lot of work and a lot of beer.

Cheers

Thank you for the article Zider. As for the taste, I'll test it in a water solution to see what flavors, good bad or indifferent it gives off.

Back