False bottom

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jagg

Reaction score
Im going to use a keggle for my boil pot, do I put the stainless false bottom in there or should I use something else as a filter?Thanks.

Do you use pellets or whole hops? There are many viewpoints on this and a search will give you your options. If you use pellets, a stainless false bottom won't work. I made a nice hop taco that clogged with pellets too. So I resorted to an elbow fitting inside the kettle that runs a piece of copper pipe to the side wall/bottom. I whirlpool it and let it sit for about 10 minutes. I lose a little wort that way because of the keg space below the end of the pipe, but I just make slightly bigger batches. I never have a problem with clogs and it runs clear after the first few milliliters.

I used to use a false bottom. It works fine for whole hops, but it's literally useless for pellets. I tried to modify it with dire results https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=22684&page=5

This is what I use now. Works great.

hop%20filter.jpg

I use a false bottom and it works great for whole hops. For pellet hops, I use a hop bag. I never have anything clog.

In my last batch I used hop bags for both the bittering (1 oz) and flavor (1 oz) additions and then let the last ounce of pellets for aroma swim free just because they're not given as long in the boil. I found that my hop stopper did just fine on the last ounce and it left a ton of filtering capacity for when I recirculated my CFC chilled wort back in. This is by far the batch with the least amount of wasted wort and least amount of break material in the fermenter. It sounds like a lot of work, but it wasn't so bad.

I recirculated my chilled wort back into the kettle out of necessity this time (cooling water not cold enough so I had to use icewater after initial cooling). However, I might recirc even in the winter just to filter some of the cold break. It's not that big of a deal when you have a March pump.

Back