• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to HomeBrewTalk and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Two 10 gallon Kal-style E-kettles for sale.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thundercougarfalconbird

Reaction score
I just got a sweet deal on a Brutus and need to switch over to keggles that can be used with propane burners. I have my two 10 gallon aluminum E-kettles for sale. They both have 1650w elements in them, I used a heatstick in combo to get a boil with 120v outlets, but you could very easily install a stronger element. Camlocks (minus the one one the hlt with the dustcap) are not included.
All fittings except ball valves are stainless steel. Ballvalves are brass.
All gaskets are silicone.

HLT- $75+ Actual Shipping Cost
The HLT is a 10 gallon aluminum kettle with the following fittings

-Kal style 1650w element w/ powercord
-weldless ballvalve w/ 1/2" coupling inside (bargain fittings)
-BobbyM sightglass
-Camlock with dustcap (I used it to attach the water in hose)
-I drilled another hole for a recirculation port but ended up not needing it so I capped it off.
hlt3.jpg
hlt1.jpg

BK- $145 + Actual Shipping Cost
The BK is a 10 gallon aluminum kettle with the following fittings

-Kal style 1650w element w/ powercord
-Weldless Ballvalve w/ street 90 inside (bargain fittings)
-Weldless ballvalve w/ 90degree elbow
-Whirlpool / Side pickup fitting diptube (bargain fittings)
-BobbyM sightglass
-BobbyM 2" face 4" probe weldless thermometer
bk4.jpg
bk2.jpg
bk1.jpg

Thanks for looking :mug:
You can email me at [email protected] if you'd like more pictures.

Actually nevermnd... i read too quickly and though u were in ca not ga...lol what would shipping be to 91786... that would be determining factor

I assume it'll be around $30ish through Fedex for either one. That's why I basically didn't charge for the kettles themselves to make up for shipping.

I am also willing to part with the kettles with just the sight glasses and electric elements installed for $55+shipping each if you want to source your own fittings. (unless you already have them though, it'll be significantly more expensive than the total package)

Price dropped. Just got ahold of all the kegs for my Brutus and just want to make enough to pay for new fittings for em

For 8 gallons of room temp water (like 80 here) it takes a little less than a half hour to hit 120* I'd say. Its not super fast and upgrading the element is as easy as buying it and plugging it in. Don't gotta buy all the specialized bits and hunt down a drill press to build it.
I usually start to heat the water then go and crush my grain then by the time I'm done its about the right temp.
She's not the fastest kettle in the world, but that's the price you pay with 120v setup.

Assuming you upgraded the heating element, what safety measures would you need to use this? I'm thinking of upgrading to eBIAB.

And would you consider selling just the heating elements and plugs?

I'm not just stringing you along here. I am seriously interested. I was considering building something like this as the basis of a poor mans HERMs. Heat water in the HLT, run hot water out to a coil in my mash tun, and control the pump to drive this with a Johnson temperature controller. So the heating element would run open loop but the thermocouple in the mash tun would turn the pump on and off as I lost temperature. Is this a terribly stupid idea? Would your HLT be suited for this application? I'd pre-heat the mash water using a standard boiler. The water in your HLT would be purely for the heat exchanger. Is my idea just stupid?

I appreciate the honesty.

You HLT would be a lot cheaper and easier than building my own. Could it maintain 150ish mash temps. unmodified. Considering the water would already be pre-heated there.

Give me an estimated shipping with price to 32221, I have been looking for something like this still a newbie so a slower kettle would probably be ideal.

@ Drocu-You simply install the heavier element with the correct gauge wire (literally just slide into the kettle, and hook up 3 wires). If your looking for control too though, you'll have to buy/build a controller. A simple one isn't very difficult, I recommend bugging PJ over in the electric forum. JUST MAKE SURE TO USE A GFI OUTLET.
I'll sell both for $50+shipping(I paid almost that much just for the drill bits to make these) Kal's design is really heavy duty. I did everything nearly identical to his build for the elements (except for being 120v) you just gotta tighten the Sh*T out of them for it to seal, so make sure to leak test before you brew.

@John_FL-I am unsure what the Johnson controller can handle power wise. It makes sense to me, but I would look for advice in the electric forum. This style kettle is used in pretty much every E-herms build in one form or another. Even with just one 1650w element, its plenty of power to heat 10 gallons of room temp water to near boiling.

@emmdubb23- As a newbie I must warn you electric is dangerous if you aren't familiar with the gear. These won't quite bring a 5 gallon batch to a boil so you'd have to facilitate it by either putting it on the oven or building a heat stick. Estimated delivery (including the box I'd have to buy) is around $40.

Back