Fermentation temperature

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AUEnder

Reaction score
How much will my beer improve by fermenting at lower temperatures? I make decent beer fermenting in a room that stays at about 70 to 72 degrees. I'm thinking about using a swamp cooler or building a fermentation chamber but I want to know if the payoff is worth it. Thanks in advance.

Of course everyone's experiences vary, but I found fermenting at lower temps for most ale strains (I'm not including belgians) provides a cleaning tasting beer. Personally, I believe treating the yeast right makes good beer great.

I've done both recently, and I've found very little difference if you use the right yeast. The first day or two makes the most difference, and I'll keep it in a recirculated water jacket for that time at 68F at most, then just keep it at 70-72, whatever the room is at.

I tend to think that the biggest benefit of controlling ferm temps is that you substantially reduce conditioning time and get the beer to "peak" faster.

For example, I make an Amber Ale at 6% ABV, with a good temp controlled fermentation, it might only take 2-3 weeks for it to meld and peak, while fermenting at 72, it might take 6-8 weeks to get to the same place.

Fermenting at lower temps produces a slower, more controlled ferementation with less off-flavors. With a good process, you can get minimal off-flavors even fermenting at like 80, and the beer may be good to drink, but it will not peak until it has conditioned enough for the off-flavors to mellow. With a good fermentation temperature control in the lower end of the yeast's range, there are no off-flavors to condition in the first place.

SO, Beer #1 conditioned at 60 will peak after 2-3 weeks, Beer #2 conditioned at 72 will peak after about 6-8 weeks. If you have the patience, I think you can really make the same quality beer either way, but I think having a peak beer quicker is well worth the extra effort of temp control.

That's my take...

Latest posts

Back