You know you're a home brewer when?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When you wrestle back and forth over whether to take a half-day PTO for that doctor appointment, but you'll quickly put in for that full day of brewing.

When you get home from work and check on the fermenters after putting the kid down for his nap and decide to play some slightly stoopid radio on pandor for the yeasts to have a party and be happy, then you wife comes home and looks at you like your crazy so I say it's all an experiment they were barely going when I got home and this is an hour of music. And I got a video to but stupid phone wolnt play music while recording, it was bubbling ever 10 secs before music this is after music for an hour

Watch the documentary "Happy" and pay close attention to the yogurt culture part. Enjoy! :D

When you're having microwaved frozen pizza novelties for dinner because you've got spent grain drying in the oven and 2 pots of wort on the stovetop.

you know you're a home brewer when you have your wife text photos of your fermenters and realize you have to tell her how to sanitize the blow off hose and put it in before you have a mess.... all while you're at work driving down the interstate, in the back of an ambulance, while your patient is asleep.....

It's comforting to know that if I ever need an ambulance that both me and he beer will be ok

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

On the first warm day in three months your neighbor has the hose out to wash his car...and you have your hose out for the wort chiller.

On the first warm day in three months your neighbor has the hose out to wash his car...and you have your hose out for the wort chiller.

OR when you've spent hours outside freezing your arse off because it's lager season darn it! Gotta love that ice cold tap water, only time I can chill down to 45.

...if you've ever had a dream where 3-gallon cornies were being sold for $8.99 each at an old post and beam lodge somewhere in western colorado... and then woke up in an aroused state.
No joke, it was really weird.

A lot of this is very true to me but it really came clear to me when I started making hangers on my cabinets and cabinet doors for every piece of equipment (including every piece of my broken down 1 gal MLT manifold), even hooks in the ceiling to hang my tubing from, the bottle rack now lives on the counter top and is rarely empty and every week I feel the need to brew between 1 and 3 batches. I'm always doing something with my brews and it's great and rarely do I buy beer now but when I do it's mainly for the bottles.

Just finished my last Belgian Saison, always a sad day here to say goodbuy to a brew but next weekend there will be 3 new brews added to new tasting list including an Affligem Abbey Triple. Cheers.

When you notice your girlfriends cat is walking about the house with crushed grain husks on her fur, and you realize you forgot to shut the grain storage room door (AKA guest bedroom).

When you notice your girlfriends cat is walking about the house with crushed grain husks on her fur, and you realize you forgot to shut the grain storage room door (AKA guest bedroom).

what part of the fur?
grains for kitty litter??
:eek:
I would check all that before your next grind...what a mess.

Last summer I had Jehovah witnesses stop by on a brew day.
They talked to me more about the brewing than about there religion.
One told me her husband was getting into brewing (is that allowed in the religion?) and asked if I had any advice.
My only advice was to read read read...gave a few suggestions for books.
We prayed for each others day to be a good one (I am a non practicing Catholic) and they left happy.

When you go to the Fort Worth Zoo and see that the elephants and rhinos have steel barrels to play with and get jealous because you don't have any...

When you visit the store and check the half-off produce bin first thing, your freezer if full of nearly overripe fruit you're saving for your next wine batch (including your kids' apple cores and half eaten bananas), and you're advice to friends coming over is BYOB if you like that stuff.. but get it in 24 oz. bottles. :)

When you buy half a dozen yeast packets in advance so you don't have to worry about getting to the brew supply when an idea strikes (or there's a big sale at the market, or your neighbor pays you in fruit to help them pick their trees).. and eventually you accumulate dozens in the practice. No worries.. I sort them by date :)

When your desire to pick fruit in season is no longer about money, but so you can see the 3 tons of cull fruit in a bin at the packing shed every couple of days and convince all your friends to brew wine with you for the end-of-season party. :) Always a winner. :D

When you feel like your dying at work from being sick but somehow brewing a new ipa makes you feel better

I'm sure its been mentioned, but when you walk through the grocery store and constantly wonder to yourself "would that be good in a beer?"

I'm sure its been mentioned, but when you walk through the grocery store and constantly wonder to yourself "would that be good in a beer?"

Especially in the baking needs isle. That's where I've found different sugars,like demerara. Citrus flavorings like Trulemon,etc as well as vanilla beans.

When your home office looks like this...

Untitled.jpg

When you're in Disney world for a week with your two year old and every few minutes you think about the fact that you have FOUR batches that will be ready to drink the week you get home.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Home Brew mobile app

When you're in Disney world for a week with your two year old and every few minutes you think about the fact that you have FOUR batches that will be ready to drink the week you get home.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Home Brew mobile app
Hop the Monorail over to Epcot and grab an Octoberfest in Germany - I was just there Friday.

Hop the Monorail over to Epcot and grab an Octoberfest in Germany - I was just there Friday.

Thanks for the tip! We'll be there tomorrow. On the plus side, I was able to grab three 6 packs of 4 week old Jai Alai for the hotel room!

Thanks for the tip! We'll be there tomorrow. On the plus side, I was able to grab three 6 packs of 4 week old Jai Alai for the hotel room!

We went to Jellyrolls piano bar at the boardwalk when we were there. Had a good time. Didn't find out till we ha left that there is a brewery in the boardwalk district also wish I had had time to check out their brews. Just a thought out loud Lololol

Sent from somewhere to someone

When you finally realize you gotta home brew Jones. My bottles condition next to my bed...maybe that's why I can't sleep at night? I needs help ladies & gentlemens! I'm the baddest home brewer in the whole neighborhood! I got more moves then exlax! Here I come with the mash paddle! Try & stop me! You can't stop me 'cause I gotta home brew jones! I can stir the mash with my tongue! "I gotta home brew Jones,I gotta home brew jones,I gotta home brew jones,oh baby,oo-oo-ooooo"....

When you finally realize you gotta home brew Jones. My bottles condition next to my bed...maybe that's why I can't sleep at night? I needs help ladies & gentlemens! I'm the baddest home brewer in the whole neighborhood! I got more moves then exlax! Here I come with the mash paddle! Try & stop me! You can't stop me 'cause I gotta home brew jones! I can stir the mash with my tongue! "I gotta home brew Jones,I gotta home brew jones,I gotta home brew jones,oh baby,oo-oo-ooooo"....

Lol that cracked me up!

I was hoping somebody besides me would appreciate the irony. Had basketball jones stuck in my head since last weekend. so I changed it a little. You know George Harrison played the guitar on that one? Some other notables too. Anyway,it fits how we start this hobby,then get hooked on it.
I need,I need somebody I can brew with. Somebody I can pass a beer to,...somebody to stand beside me in that brewery of life...:D

Latest posts

Back