Brett Beer Saison Brett

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you OP for a wonderful recipe, I entered my sour variation of this (using jp weizen bam bottle dregs) into the wisconsin state fair amateur homebrew competition under category 28b and got a first place ribbon and scored 37.5. Though, I was the only entry in category 28.

I'm thinking of making a double batch with one half using only sac and racking on cherries at secondary and the other half keeping true to the OP's recipe with sac and Brett.

Anyone try this with only sac and some fruit?

I ended up pulling off 1.5 gallons for 3724 only and 5 gallons for 3724/brett

Bottled the 3724 only today and sample was very good!

I have my mixed fermentation @ 70* - how long does it usually take to start seeing pellicle...or is it normal to not see anything?

So I made a very similar recipe but sadly I added Brett-C at the end of the saison yeast fermentation and later added some additional wort from another batch to feed the Brett...I then left it for 6 months.
Guess what? No brett character (as if anyone's surprised)-just an extremely clean, almost white wine character in the hydro sample (8% abv)
Any tips or tips on how I could resurrect sum funky Brett-C character?
Anyone else make the same 'mistake' and find a way to salvage some sour with an addition or two?

I ended up pulling off 1.5 gallons for 3724 only and 5 gallons for 3724/brett

Bottled the 3724 only today and sample was very good!

I have my mixed fermentation @ 70* - how long does it usually take to start seeing pellicle...or is it normal to not see anything?

I typically do not see much of a pellicle, and if your fermenter is relatively oxygen-free you are less likely to see one form. If you leave it longer you might see what looks like a gritty or dusty krausen. As long as the aroma and flavor develop over the course of a couple months I would not worry.

So I made a very similar recipe but sadly I added Brett-C at the end of the saison yeast fermentation and later added some additional wort from another batch to feed the Brett...I then left it for 6 months.
Guess what? No brett character (as if anyone's surprised)-just an extremely clean, almost white wine character in the hydro sample (8% abv)
Any tips or tips on how I could resurrect sum funky Brett-C character?
Anyone else make the same 'mistake' and find a way to salvage some sour with an addition or two?

Plus it up with 5-10 gravity points of dry malt extract (1-2 lbs in 5 gal) and give it a couple months. It may take time to get the cell count up to restart fermentation if you just added a vial of commercial brett to a very dry saison.

Mines been going since 7/29 and I’m moving at the end of the month. Is it too soon to bottle?

It’s at a little under 1.000 I think I can bottle. Yea?

It sounds like it's ready to bottle. I usually put dregs of Orval in the bottling bucket for this kind of recipe and never had a problem with over-carbonation.

But I always open a bottle at least every few weeks (0k, usually a lot more often).

How long has it been at 1.000? What kind of bottles do you have? If you haven't been stable for 1-2 months I would say, play it safe and get a stronger Belgian bottle to go into.

How long has it been at 1.000? What kind of bottles do you have? If you haven't been stable for 1-2 months I would say, play it safe and get a stronger Belgian bottle to go into.
Not sure, this was my first reading, I'll check again before I bottle. I don't have Belgian bottles, I'll risk it.

I'm planning on brewing a 10 gallon batch of this recipe this weekend. I'll split the batch into 2 separate 6 gallon fermenters with wy3724 in one and the other wy3724 and white labs brett C. I'm curious if I'll need to top up the co-pitched fermentor at some point to limit o2 exposure during extended aging. Should I let both go through primary and then rack a gallon from the clean batch over to top it up? Anyone have advice?

Saison Brett (with apologies to Boulevard - there simply isn't a more fitting name)

Recipe Specifics:
Batch Size (Gal): 5.0
Total Grain (Lbs): 12.00
Anticipated OG: 1.063
Anticipated SRM: 5
Anticipated IBU: 34
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70 %
Wort Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Grain/Sugars:
10.00 lb Belgian Pilsner
1.00 lb Munich Malt
1.00 lb Clear Candi Sugar

Hops:
2.00 oz Williamette [3.90 %] @60 min (25.6 IBU)
1.00 oz Saaz [4.00 %] @15 min (6.5 IBU)
1.00 oz Saaz [4.00 %] @5 min (2.6 IBU)

Yeast:
Co-pitch Wyeast 3724 Belgian Saison and the dregs from a bottle of Boulevard Saison Brett (or Wyeast Brett Clausenii)

Mash Schedule:
Mash Type: Single Step
Grain Lbs: 11.00
Water Qts: 14
Water Gal: 3.5

Saccharification:150 degrees, 90 minutes
Sparge: 170 degrees, 10 minutes

General Instructions:
Mash and boil are straightforward. Add the candy sugar with 5 minutes left. Pitch yeast at 75 and keep it warm for a couple of weeks, then let it sit undisturbed for a month or two until the brett is done. And for heaven's sake don't fear the 3724! I didn't dry hop this beer, but it would be very good with some dry hopping. You could do Amarillo to boost the citrus, EKG to compliment the brett, or more Saaz.

Tasting notes/compliments:
On the 1-year anniversary of brewing this beer:

Aroma: Strong brett nose, some graininess and pie cherry/citrus notes. Muted spicy/floral hops.
Appearance: Somewhat hazy, copper colored with a off-white head that falls relatively quickly.
Flavor: Crisp brett with bread, slight tartness. Some mineral character, some light fruit. Finishes very dry with a slight astringency and lingering brett funk.
Mouthfeel: Medium to light body, good carbonation. Slight astringency
Overall: Good brett character does not completely dominate, but saison character is still muted. Carbonation a bit on the low side. Next time add a few % flaked grain to improve head.

My club keeps asking to trade for bottles of this. There are several guys who started seeking out saisons because of this beer.
At NHC, a BJCP Master judge commented: "Frankly, I would just keep this beauty to myself. Competitions won't do justice to how elegant this beer is to enjoy."
Also, Charlie Papazian liked this beer, so you should go make it now.
Would recommend anyone who wishes to brew this recipe, to increase mash strike temperature up another 5-7 degrees. 150F for 90 minutes has a lower extraction efficiency, as was when I conjured mine. Sparge temperature is fine though, just bump up the mash temperature.

Back