Updating my methods

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Warthaug

Reaction score
I learned to brew 15-ish years ago. I developed my methods, which were essentially the norm at the time, and then stopped thinking about it. I stopped brewing for the past 4 years due to a move to a small apartment, but I'm moving back to a proper home in a month and am gearing up to start brewing again. I've been reading up on how people are brewing, and it seems "standard" methods have changed, so I was thinking of updating my methods as well. In particular, it seems that a lot of you are doing single-stage fermentations and batch sparging; whereas the norm in my day was continuous sparging and 2-stage fermentation.

I was wondering if there was:
a) a good guide/writeup on why these are now the preferred way of doing things (the threads on this here are a bit of a mess, and somewhat contradictory), and

b) a good how-to for batch sparging (i.e. how many sparges, how much water per sparge, how to avoid over-sparging, etc).

Thanx

Bryan

Back