3.2% States and their beer/wine regulations...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's just the restaurant misinterpreting the rules. I get a beer before my food arrives all the time.

Alcohol beverage service in a licensed restaurant requires that you order food with your drink, that your beverage be delivered to your table or counter by your server, and that you consume your drink at or near the table or counter.

Alcohol beverage service in a club does not require that you order food. Full bar service and table service are both available. Persons under the age of 21 are not allowed in the lounge or bar area of a club.

Beer service in "beer only" establishments does not require that you order food. Note, however, that persons under the age of 21 years may not be on the premises of certain "beer only" establishments such as taverns, beer bars, nightclubs, or cabarets.

The food before alcohol thing is due to a recent crack-down.

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/money/55590897-79/restaurants-order-law-liquor.html.csp

But the letter of the law is that you must place a food order before being served an alcoholic beverage. Up until recently if you indicated that you intended to order food they would allow you to order a drink. Apparently the DABC thought that was unacceptable and has ordered sting operations to put a stop to the practice.

So there are probably a few restaurants overreacting to the recent crack-down. It seems they wanted to conduct the stings right before the Sundance Film Festival so that restaurants would be on their toes when the tourists come into town.

Very true.

UT only has 2.7mil people, and 60.4% of those people are Mormon. Mormons don't consume alcohol, so that only leaves about 1mil people that do in the whole state. Couple that with the fact that the majority of politicians in UT are Mormon and don't drink, but are making the rules for those that do, it will be a cold day in hell when those laws change.

Now home brewing did become legal in 2009 in UT, it probably has not had enough time to catch on. Probably no LHBS's in the state yet. Sounds like a decent business venture.

While about 62% of Utahns are LDS that doesn't mean none of them drink. Mormon's are remarkably like other human beings in that none of them are perfect. I've shared drinks with many a Mormon.

While about 62% of Utahns are LDS that doesn't mean none of them drink. Mormon's are remarkably like other human beings in that none of them are perfect. I've shared drinks with many a Mormon.

Same here...I think the real number is 41% active members and even some of them still imbibe once in awhile.

One of the jokes around here is:

Why don't you take only one Mormon fishing with you?...

Cause he'll drink all your beer. :D

ScotBrew said:
In PA all the liquor/wine and beer are sold in separate stores. So if you're having a cookout/party/get together (*delete as appropriate), it's off to get the groceries for the meat, hit the liquor store for some wine etc, then hit the beer distributor before you head home!

In Western PA many of the Giant Eagle supermarkets now sell beer (single bottles and six packs).

seamusfm said:
In Western PA many of the Giant Eagle supermarkets now sell beer (single bottles and six packs).

Glad to hear it, things are slowly, but surely starting to look up here in the Harrisburg area too.

Back