Craft Beer Suggestions to Try?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

midlifecrisis

Reaction score
As I'm waiting for my first beer to ferment I've decided to explore different craft beers that I've heard about on this forum to get an idea of what I like and don't like (and of course to build up a stock of empty bottles to use). For everyday I've normally stuck with good full bodied beers I could buy by the case like Sierra Nevada and Sam' Adams, but in the past few weeks I had the revelation of trying Rogue's Santa Reserve and their Dead Guy Ale (both of which I loved especially Dead Guy). I was trying to find Arrogant Bastard today--couldn't find it but I did find Double Bastard (which was good but a tad too strong to think of brewing 5 gallons of). I have a 22 oz bottle of Fat Tire to try next. Any other craft beers I should check out to guide my future brewing selections?

It might be blasphemy here, but I've been using Michelob bottles. Their craft beers aren't too terrible and its cheaper than buying alot of higher end craft beers primarily for bottles. Don't get me wrong, now that I have my stock of empites, I'll pick up good craft beers to see what I like and don't and to get an idea for tastes, but for bottles I try to stay on the cheap.

Dogfish Head puts out some really good stuff, the 90 minute IPA is one of my favs. I also recently discovers Allagash St. Curiex if you can find it. Samuel Smith is pretty awesome as well.

Sierra Nevada Pale Ale is considered a 'gateway' beer for a lot of craft enthusiasts (as is Fat Tire). Their Torpedo is an amazing IPA. I'd also branch out and try some beers featuring roasted malts. I'm not sure if Deschutes is distributed in NC, but Black Butte Porter, Obsideon Stout, and Mirror Pond PA are all world-class examples of their respective styles. Also, if you can find anything from Lagunitas, Russian River, Bear Republic (Hop Rod Rye and Racer 5 are great), or other well respected microbreweries you most likely won't be disappointed.

You might also check out some of the Belgians. They are quite unique compared to what you are used to drinking. St. Bernardus Triple is a personal favorite, and all the Trappist offerings are amazing.

anything made by victory brewing is also a winner (prima pils, hop wallop, storm king, etc.)

Since you already found Rouge, check out their XS: Imperial India Pale Ale.

Great beer, plus all the XS beers come in a really cool ceramic bottle.

Jay

Good idea on the michelob bottles, been buying the craft beers and trying to plow through them. had the victory hop wallop... is the victory hop devil more or less hoppy?

I'd go after any brewery mix packs you can find. A few of my favorites include:
Bells, Big Sky, Boulder, Breckenridge, Heavy Seas, and Left Hand.

And a man after my own heart, I can't wait for the local Lakes to ice up! I'm itchin' for some fishin'!!!!

Really? You haven't been out yet? Dang that's too bad. Move up north, we already have a foot of ice and we hit -15 F last night. Definitely had a late start this year too. The barn (my permanent shack) is probably going on the lake tonight.

Beer (to keep it on topic):D

Goose Island and Bell's are two of my favorite breweries. I generally try to have something from one of them on hand at all time. Right now I am a fan of Goose Island Mild Winter and Bell's Porter.

Try a Hoegaarden or other Belgian Wit, my first one completely changed what I thought about beer.

I'm a fan of a lot of Dogfish Head brews. Some others will disagree, but I like some of the Saranac brews, mainly the darker beers. If you're in Chapel Hill, consider joining our home brew club! We're just starting up but it's a good time. Our next meeting is a group brew session on January 10th at one of our members' house.

Hey Erock--thanks for the notice--unfortunately I've got tickets for the UNC-Virginia Tech game that night--but I'll try to make one of the upcoming meetings.

Thanks for all the suggestions--I think that will keep me busy for some time. I've already been making my way down the list of suggestions.

Tonight I tried Stone's 90 minute IPA--very good very hoppy but nicely balanced a just a tad too bitter for my taste (although I liked the flavor and aroma). Earlier my wife and I shared a Fat Tire. Just as wonderbread suggested--this reminded me a lot of Sierra Nevada--very easy to drink not too heavy--but not the kind of beer you say "Wow" after drinking.

Yestereday I tried two craft beers: Stone Levitation ale--definitely a very hoppy beer (which I liked) but a little to dry and unbalanced for my current tastes. I could not track down Arrogant Bastard as yet but I did find a bottle of Double Bastard which was definitely a full bodied beer with a lot of character and balance.

So far the favorite of both my wife and I is Dead Guy Ale--this is just an awesome work of beer making. Great balance of maltiness and hops and one of those beers that just seems like a work of art (ok I've had a couple).

This is a quite a lot of fun.....and I think it will helpful in guiding my choices of beers to try to brew in the future.

Midlifecrisis,

If you PM me with your email address, I'll send you an invite to the google group we're currently using to organize everything for the club. That way you'll be aware of everything we have going on. It's a good group, and there's a lot of collective knowledge.

- Eric

I normally like the Saranac beers but don't care for their IPA at all! I'll take any other IPA over theirs.

I'm doing a Brewers Best Hop Nogg now. Any had? any good? The store said hoppy and I was sold on it.

Back