adding priming sugar to already full bottling bucket

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kershner_Ale

Reaction score
Last week I wanted to brew a stout but wasn't quite finished fermenting the pale ale I had in my primary. So I racked the pale ale into my bottling bucket to use that as a secondary so I could free up the primary for the stout. Now I'm ready to bottle the pale ale (already in the bottling bucket). Just wondering if anyone has any tips for mixing in the priming sugar thoroughly without removing the entire lid off the bottling bucket and risking contamination. Yeah yeah, I know, I risked contamination when I racked into the bottling bucket in the first place. But I had to free up fermenting space! Before when I'd bottle beer, I'd add my sugar first to the bottle bucket, then siphon the beer into the bucket. Thanks for the help,

Jeff

Well, if you add your priming sugar to it now, you'll have to stir it up. So, not only will you have to take the lid off (which isn't really a problem) but you'll stir up everything that settled out during your secondary (which is the real issue). If you have a free container, you can carefully, VERY carefully rack it to that container. Then after cleaning and sanitizing your bottling bucket again you can rack it back onto your priming sugar and bottle.

Next time you need to free up a fermenter and all you have is your bottling bucket, you oughta pick up a new fermenter.

This is one of the times I'd prb consider carb drops so you don't have to incorporate a priming solution and bottle right outta your bucket.

Back