Deep Water Oatmeal Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anthony_Lopez

Reaction score
BeerSmith Recipe Printout - http://www.beersmith.com
Recipe: Deep Water Stout
Brewer: Tony
Asst Brewer:
Style: Oatmeal Stout
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (35.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 6.00 gal
Boil Size: 7.42 gal
Estimated OG: 1.067 SG
Estimated Color: 34.4 SRM
Estimated IBU: 29.1 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
10 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 65.57 %
3 lbs Oats, Flaked (1.0 SRM) Grain 19.67 %
1 lbs Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) Grain 6.56 %
12.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 80L (80.0 SRM) Grain 4.92 %
8.0 oz Roasted Barley (300.0 SRM) Grain 3.28 %
2.00 oz Williamette [5.50 %] (60 min) Hops 29.1 IBU
1 Pkgs Dry English Ale (White Labs #WLP007) Yeast-Ale

Mash Schedule: Decoction Mash, Single
Total Grain Weight: 15.25 lb
----------------------------
Decoction Mash, Single
Step Time Name Description Step Temp
35 min Protein Rest Add 21.03 qt of water at 128.6 F 122.0 F
45 min Saccharification Decoct 9.46 qt of mash and boil it 155.0 F
10 min Mash Out Heat to 168.0 F over 10 min 168.0 F

Well, that settles it. I was going to build a 5 gal. MLT, but with this kind of grain bill, I'd better go bigger. I doesn't seen to me that you can get all that grain and water into a 5'er.

I want to be able to do a nice oatmeal stout soon.

What are you wondering, lol? I just brewed "It smells like coffee" from the beersmith recipes....I'm thinking your recipe may be a little more mild than that one.....used like 4 pounds of aromatic malt in this one. The score was 43.5, though.

You could always compare the two and come up with a bit of a hybrid....so you could call it your own and have a spectacular fireworks show when it tastes like heaven. I'm not really familiar yet as to what X grain causes X flavor and X aroma and X body, etc....in time i will become a brew....master.

KatoBaggins; run to wally world and pick up a $20 - 10 gallon cooler. Perfect size (that's what she said).

No Crystal of any kind? I think of Oatmeal Stouts as fairly sweet but the BJCP description says they can also be fairly dry. But even so...with 1 lb of Chocolate malt and 1/2# of Roasted Barley I would think some caramel might be appropriate. Those dark malts add some bitterness.

As a point of reference, my first/only Oatmeal Stout used 1# Roasted Barley and 1# of Crystal 40L in a 6 gal. batch and the sweetness was just about perfect. That batch only had 1# of Oats and the rest was Maris Otter.

Also, I've made a 5.5 gal. batch (Foreign Extra Stout though) and only used 3/4# Roasted Barley plus 3/4# Crystal 40L (rest was Flaked Barley and Maris Otter) and it was still plenty dark (black and opaque).

Note: I just remembered that BOTH batches above had 1/4 cup of Molasses so that affected the color a bit.

HAHAH... big whoops on my part... there is supposed to be some crystal 90 in there... musta missed it... original post edited

Wow thats alot of oat in there !! I only use 1.5 pounds for my outmeal stout and I thought that was alot LOL hrmm.... I say go for it!!! I have thought of bumping my oatmeal up a bit myself :)

your protein rest looks alittle long..... instead of a protein rest and since your decocting anyways I would take your oatmeal and a pound or so of your base malts and do a beta glucanase rest at about 118 degrees for 15 minutes then just refigure your strike water temp and add that and the rest of the grains to your mashtun and hit your 155 mark till conversion is complete... Or just use the pot you was going to decoct in to do the beta glucan rest with your oats and a pound or so of base redo your strike water and go ahead and start mashing the rest at 155 and then just heat your "pulled" amount to 155 and mix it in to the main mash......

I also do a Beta Glucan rest when I use Oats. I do it at 112-114 F and then sacc rest at ~152 F max., sometimes lower. The grist has a decent amount of unfermentables in it already and whenever I sacc rest something like this high (like 154 or higher) it doesn't finish low enough. But that's just with my equipment/process.

Latest posts

Back