Flavor differences in bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Christian

Reaction score
This doesn't happen every time but i have noticed that sometimes my beers will taste different in a 12oz bottle then the exact same batch in a 22oz one. Typically it seems to be the bigger beers that tend to taste better and mature faster in a 12 then a 22. Yet the lower ABV ones taste better from a 22 then a 12.

Anyone else ever notice this or am i just nuts?:confused:

IMO, that makes perfect sense. The 12 oz. bottles have less in them and the bigger bottles have more. Its kind of like comparing batch conditioning to bottle conditioning on a smaller scale...

I'll see you and raise you 100.
I not only think its a size issue but bottle type. I find that the same beer from the same batch, some in plastic and some in glass, the glass will taste better every time. The 1.5L Grolsch bottles end up tasting the best.

More oxygen per volume in the smaller bottles, so yes they will stale (oops I mean "age") faster.

This is a well accepted phenomenon in the wine world.

More oxygen per volume in the smaller bottles, so yes they will stale (oops I mean "age") faster.

This is a well accepted phenomenon in the wine world.

I was going to bring up the same thing. Many serious wine drinkers purchase differently sized bottles as part of their "drinking plan," as they age at different rates.

Just as an aside, I'll never forget when I first heard that phrase, "drinking plan." A good fellow was talking about how he purchases and cellars his wine and he mentioned something about a "twenty or thirty year drinking plan." All I could think was "'Twenty or thirty year drinking plan?' That sounds like what my retirement will be."

TL

Ive had the same concern with a few of my batches, thought it was just me.... the flavor actually wasent my concern though, I feel like the carbonation is a little different in some bottles in the same batch.... 1 beer is perfectly carbed tastes great, the next one is a little less carbonated.... think i might try bottle priming on my next batch of lawnmower..... (made it several times)

That's kind of funny , because I always think the ones bottled in 12 oz'ers taste better then the bombers.

They taste different, simply because they finish carbing and conditioning at different rates. I have some pints, 22 oz bombers and other sizes that I often use, but since I enter contests I usually also do a sixer or two of standard 12 ouncers for entering. And inevitably the 12 ouncers are done at least a week or 3 faster than the larger bottles.

Latest posts

Back