A question about perfect machines

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
All the way back to the first reply... yes, yes it is. If you believe God is the father and we are his children.

But I'm going to leave God out of this now, and go fix the tractor myself today.

WHY did you have to bring THAT up?? Seriously... Why?? I'm sorry but you just lost serious points with me over that rambling.

I can see it now, back several thousand years ago, some adolescent aliens, probably high on some Plutonium Nyborg, decided to have some fun smurfing around with a primitive planet (us)... If they're watching what happened from that exposure, they're probably doing lots of these: :smack: :smack: :smack: :smack:

Um... because I'm not perfect and sometimes I don't know when to keep my mouth shut? Was just an analogy that popped in my head. Because I figured this thread wasn't done until I offended a few people?

How has this thread gone on so long? And Bobbi now that the apocalypse has passed can you please tell me what this machine is?

Okay, I'll go back and answer this seriously. The broken machine was a lettuce cutter I guess. It goes behind the tractor, the rotation of the wheels powers it and it cuts, weighs and sacks lettuce. Not the head of lettuce kind, the kind you clip 1-2 inches from the ground then it grows back.

It looks kind of like a fancy drag behind lawnmower. Sorry, no pics of the "perfect" machine.

Also, sorry if some days I get mad at God and it's the same day I get on here to ramble. Get over it, buddy.

Some invisible guy that only exists in my head. Yeah, you are right... that does sound crazy.

There's your sign... :D

It sounds even worse when you look at how many people out there think it's "normal" too. :eek: They don't see how it's such a cult mindset... IMO organized religion is the opiate of the weak minded. :eek: :D

I'll go put on my fire-proof (kevlar lined/bulletproof) suit now... :D:fro: Come get some!!

She called me "babe" and gave me her "love" *blushing*...

I bowed out but if you had said F-U it would have been just fine.

I am wondering if your slab is "humped"?
If you noticed, she does that with pretty much everyone. :eek: :D Oh, and you're showing. :eek: :eek: :eek:

Not so much humped as a slight curvature. Do you want to come see my lettuce cutter sometime? It also cuts and bags oregano and chives...

I have to wonder what gives it the "slight curvature"... :eek: Sure, you offer to show him your lettuce, oregano and chive... :mad: :p :D

If you noticed, she does that with pretty much everyone. :eek: :D Oh, and you're showing. :eek: :eek: :eek:

I have to wonder what gives it the "slight curvature"... :eek: Sure, you offer to show him your lettuce, oregano and chive... :mad: :p :D

Sorry man but I think she likes me better. Don't worry, we're still buds and I'll tell you all about her "lettuce" ;)

Not so much humped as a slight curvature. Do you want to come see my lettuce cutter sometime? It also cuts and bags oregano and chives...

Well, I just don't get the slab thing. You should show us a pic...that would make it all better.

I would love to see a cutting/bagging lettuce/oregano/chive machine...when's a good time for you?

Well, I just don't get the slab thing. You should show us a pic...that would make it all better.

I would love to see a cutting/bagging lettuce/oregano/chive machine...when's a good time for you?

It's because it's built on a slight hill and it goes with the flow. To get a long shot pic, I'd be standing in the woods and you'd only be able to see it through the trees, but I'll try. The concrete was swept to be in sinc with the earth. This way, it won't compact itself and explode, just slowly crumble in a big storm. So you'd be standing in crumbled concrete with a metal roof over your head instead of a sudden crushing. Because who wants to be suddenly crushed.

Pretty much anytime I guess, as long as you promise not to call it a lawnmower. Oregano and chives grow back too, after you cut 'em down.

And I do like you better....

It's because it's built on a slight hill and it goes with the flow. To get a long shot pic, I'd be standing in the woods and you'd only be able to see it through the trees, but I'll try. The concrete was swept to be in sinc with the earth. This way, it won't compact itself and explode, just slowly crumble in a big storm. So you'd be standing in crumbled concrete with a metal roof over your head instead of a sudden crushing. Because who wants to be suddenly crushed.

Pretty much anytime I guess, as long as you promise not to call it a lawnmower. Oregano and chives grow back too, after you cut 'em down.

And I do like you better....

I knew you did;)

Lawnmower eh? I get it now...duh!

I sincerely hope you engineered the slab properly and do not get crushed by it. That would be a wild storm.

I knew you did;)

Lawnmower eh? I get it now...duh!

I sincerely hope you engineered the slab properly and do not get crushed by it. That would be a wild storm.

;) Yes, like a delicate lawnmower with multiple bags, thin sharp blades... a gentle chop, chop, not a fast spin. It's hubby's machine but I helped him with it. Worked perfectly before it got off balance. But fixed now.

I hope so too. My biggest concern would be inviting friends over during the next big hurricane and seeing them get crushed to death.

Hmmm, can't seem to come up with anything deep and witty for this thread. That's okay though. Happy to be a bystander and watch the craziness unfold. Four hundred and twenty three post! Geesh!

Well, I said it would cut chives also, the lettuce cutter, but I need some kind of adapter to make it sack the chives going the same direction. Buyers do not want a jumbled sack of chives all going in different directions. With lettuce(gourmet salad mix that you cut down while young and tender) and oregano it doesn't matter. But with chives, people expect to receive them bundled. Should I just say **** how they expect it? Cut up the damn chives for your recipe, smurf whether or not they were all lined up in rows? Right?

Well, I said it would cut chives also, the lettuce cutter, but I need some kind of adapter to make it sack the chives going the same direction. Buyers do not want a jumbled sack of chives all going in different directions. With lettuce(gourmet salad mix that you cut down while young and tender) and oregano it doesn't matter. But with chives, people expect to receive them bundled. Should I just say **** how they expect it? Cut up the damn chives for your recipe, smurf whether or not they were all lined up in rows? Right?

Some people are just anal that way. :eek: :D Personally, I'd rather have great chives/herbs than something that looks pretty... Give me a good amount for the price and I don't care how they're packaged (as long as it doesn't look like I'm getting ripped off).

ok, I couldn't resist this any longer...
"hey BobbiLynn, show me your 'chives'... heh heh heh" :eek: :D

Some people are just anal that way. :eek: :D Personally, I'd rather have great chives/herbs than something that looks pretty... Give me a good amount for the price and I don't care how they're packaged (as long as it doesn't look like I'm getting ripped off).

ok, I couldn't resist this any longer...
"hey BobbiLynn, show me your 'chives'... heh heh heh" :eek: :D

I don't even know why I am trying to conform. The local organic market said "what's all this" the first time I dropped off my goods. With little handmade notecards for each buyer. I said, "that's extra", not extra cost, just my little extra for them. They said, "We don't give out extra here". They said my extra would not be given to my customers, but sold separately through their store to "cover costs".

It's time to cut the chives, I get to choose my own prices, which they also can't stand.... I'll just charge a little less for them going in all directions. Every week that I'm selling, people buy from me over these other folks. I make my own soil too.... want to see my compost pile? It's about 8 feet wide by about 20 feet long and 4.5 feet tall. Beer yeast feeds it like mad.

I'll be happy to show you my chives... soon as I get a chance. They are growing like crazy and need to be trimmed back.... so they can grow back.

Care to send some north?? :D

When I finally get a house of my own, or a yard I can do this with, I plan on having at least a smallish garden. A compost heap/pile/bin will be a required item. Actually, if I'm still where I am now, come spring time I plan on putting in a 'garden' using wood barrels (probably 1/3 or 1/4 cuts) to contain everything (and provide good drainage). Only issue is the back yard only gets a little sun over most of it. So, I'll only have a small area on the south east part of the yard to work with. Which is another reason for the barrels. Plus it will help keep the stuff safe from landscapers and such. :D I'll probably use the window boxes on the west side of the house for herbs too. :D

Wonder how a 1/2 barrel (or maybe full barrel) would be for growing hops. :D

Chives trimmed back.. hmm. It's all pretty overwhelming. Hey BobbiLynn, pretty sure you said you're an extract brewer but sounds like you're pretty much a down to nature person. Time for you to go all grain in your brewing. It cost a little bit equipment wise but you are more than able to handle a few DIY projects which would keep the cost down. A big plus in AG is you control what's going on and what goes into your beer and at the end of a brew day you have 10-20 pounds of spent grain which love to be composted.

BL, you're a natural girl I'm thinking. Bet your chives aren't cut often. Go all grain girl!

Chives trimmed back.. hmm. It's all pretty overwhelming. Hey BobbiLynn, pretty sure you said you're an extract brewer but sounds like you're pretty much a down to nature person. Time for you to go all grain in your brewing. It cost a little bit equipment wise but you are more than able to handle a few DIY projects which would keep the cost down. A big plus in AG is you control what's going on and what goes into your beer and at the end of a brew day you have 10-20 pounds of spent grain which love to be composted.

BL, you're a natural girl I'm thinking. Bet your chives aren't cut often. Go all grain girl!

Guess what I did earlier today? Bought my first all grain kits. No ****ting you. I'm pretty much sure I can handle it, using the equipment I got... just need to get it cleaned up, it's been out in the big barn, in the weather for a while.

Golddiggie, I actually do a lot of container gardening, my mentor is Will Allen. I've been to several of his weekend classes and I'm the teacher's pet sitting in the front of the classroom, and kissing his ass when we go outside for the "hands on" part of the workshop. You can go online and look up his website, learn from the master. He's known as the "Urban Farmer", or something like that. The barrels will work wonderfully.

I really do need to expand my beer horizons, learn about all grain and start growing my own stuff. My compost pile will love those extra spent grains...

Guess what I did earlier today? Bought my first all grain kits. No ****ting you. I'm pretty much sure I can handle it, using the equipment I got... just need to get it cleaned up, it's been out in the big barn, in the weather for a while.

Golddiggie, I actually do a lot of container gardening, my mentor is Will Allen. I've been to several of his weekend classes and I'm the teacher's pet sitting in the front of the classroom, and kissing his ass when we go outside for the "hands on" part of the workshop. You can go online and look up his website, learn from the master. He's known as the "Urban Farmer", or something like that. The barrels will work wonderfully.

I really do need to expand my beer horizons, learn about all grain and start growing my own stuff.

If you grow your own grain, you also need to learn how to malt it. Might not be something you're set up to do at this time.

I figure I have at least a few months before I need to really think about having a veg garden. I would like a couple of tomato plants and maybe a few other things. Actually, I'd like at least a few tomato plants so that I get enough to use for several things. There's a cold veg soup my father used to make that's just great with garden tomatoes. Can't use store tomatoes in it (just not the same 99% of the time). Maybe I'll plan some cuke too.

If you grow your own grain, you also need to learn how to malt it. Might not be something you're set up to do at this time.

I figure I have at least a few months before I need to really think about having a veg garden. I would like a couple of tomato plants and maybe a few other things. Actually, I'd like at least a few tomato plants so that I get enough to use for several things. There's a cold veg soup my father used to make that's just great with garden tomatoes. Can't use store tomatoes in it (just not the same 99% of the time). Maybe I'll plan some cuke too.

Yeah, learn to malt it... or bring it to my LHBS, let them malt it, they keep some, give some back to me. 5 gallon buckets with holes drilled in the bottom work great for tomatoes, green peppers and cucumbers. I actually buy a lot of seed for small variety tomatoes, peppers and cukes, grow them in 3 gallon containers, which I got a bunch of. Small variety meaning small plants, not the size of the veggies they produce....

Yeah, learn to malt it... or bring it to my LHBS, let them malt it, they keep some, give some back to me. 5 gallon buckets with holes drilled in the bottom work great for tomatoes, green peppers and cucumbers. I actually buy a lot of seed for small variety tomatoes, peppers and cukes, grow them in 3 gallon containers, which I got a bunch of. Small variety meaning small plants, not the size of the veggies they produce....

Your LHBS malts grain/barley?? Never heard of any wanting to take on that task before. They just buy the grain already malted and just resell it.

Your LHBS malts grain/barley?? Never heard of any wanting to take on that task before. They just buy the grain already malted and just resell it.

Yes, yes they do... smart guys.... It's just basically one of the guys who works there that does it, I guess he's a great asset to their little shop... They are set up in the middle of the art community in Tallahassee, FL, Homebrew Den.

Yo BobbiLynn!

Hi Dan, wassup this fine Sunday eve? I'm just chillin' again, decided **** it, I'll get back to real work in the new year. Still brewing massive quantities of beer and gotta get my carboys freed up for the all grain... bottling before some are really ready but they didn't foam up, so hey, they are ready right?

Back