Groomsmen's Gifts

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

foxual

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm getting married in about 3 months, and, cutting right to the chase, I have 6 groomsmen and 2 dads who I have no clue what to get as gifts. Each have varied personalities: some like beer, and my dad and best man are in on my homebrewing adventure, but some don't. Some like music, but some don't. Some like sports, some don't. Some like video games, some don't. My brother is a nihilist (for all intents and purposes) and likes nothing.

So the question becomes twofold: Do you think it is feasible to try and get everyone the same thing/type of thing?

And personalities aside, what sort of cool/interesting/unique gifts would you like or have seen?

Just get everyone the same thing. I got a great Gerber lock blade as a groomsman - thought that was a pretty cool gift. A flask would also be cool, but don't get all cheesy and have it engraved with crap about the wedding.

EDIT: Dammit, two people beat me to saying, "flask."

Just get everyone the same thing. I got a great Gerber lock blade as a groomsman - thought that was a pretty cool gift. A flask would also be cool, but don't get all cheesy and have it engraved with crap about the wedding.

I was thinking any engraving would be a monogram only

i got different gifts for my groomsment. cufflinks and different belt buckles. they all liked them.

I don't think there is anything wrong with tailoring the gift for the person if you want to spend the thought for each gift. Nothing wrong with getting the same gift either. It's your wedding, make your own rules.

Cheers.

I gave out engraved flasks for my wedding. Each was just engraved with that persons name or nickname. They were also each filled with that person favorite liquor.

i'll also add that I have received as a gift a pocket watch, which was/is cool as I love watches. Believe my initials were engraved on the back as well.

i'll also add that I have received as a gift a pocket watch, which was/is cool as I love watches. Believe my initials were engraved on the back as well.
I considered this but knew some would like it some wouldn't. I would personally have liked to receive it.

I gave a bottle of Captain's Private Stock to each of my 4 Groomsmen. Everyone likes boos. And My friends don't know good stuff from moonshine. So the fact that it was Captain's and Private Stock was impressive to them:) Not that I know anything about Rum either so i felt good buying them the "Good Stuff".

Im in a similar situation as the OP and im going with cufflinks. Everyone does a flask.

Cufflinks are definitely cool, but how much use is the average Joe gonna get out them?

well....for one, they can be worn at the actual wedding to provide a nice touch. We all wore our pocket watches when my brother gave them to all of us. It was a nice touch.

Plus, it's not like cufflinks go bad or anything. They will be there for life (or until they get lost, they're so damned small!) and I'm sure they will get some use...if the groom decides to go that route.

I came here to say flasks, but it has already been said. That's what I gave out at mine engraved with a monogram. They weren't all big drinkers, but still seemed to like it.

Some other things I've seen that seem kind of appropriate are money clips and pocket knives, usually also engraved with the person's initials or name or something.

The best gifts I'verevieved:
A Smith and Wesson lock blade tactical syyle knife with my initials engraved on the blade.
A good quality leather duffel (enough to fit clothes for a 1-2 day trip and carry-on size) with mt initials branded on the flap.

what I gave:
My groomsmen were all also on my softball team so I took note oth their bat preference (size) and had custom lableled Louisville Sluggers made with their names on it...

I like the cufflinks...flasks can come in useful if there's no open bar. Duffels, etc that are useful and funtional are always cool. A good knife is always a good one too...Got my wife's brother (I asked him for permission to marry) a very nice big game skinning knife fully engraved with a design of the mountain-scape at our wedding site on the blade. He's used it on many a bear and elk.

I got each of my groomsmen a pretty nice poker set with custom labels (~$250 each). We now have rotating poker nights at least once a month, and have been a great way to keep in touch with all my groomsmen. I can honestly say that if I had given something else that I would be out of touch with the majority of them; everyone is so busy that that one night a month is the only time we get to hang out.

I spent way more than I should have on groomsmen gifts; but those guys are special to me so I talked the wife into going totally cheapo (but tasteful) on the table decorations, announcements, table centers, etc and spending more money on gifts/mementos to the special people in our lives.

I like the idea of tailoring gifts to groomsmen. However, GreenwoodRover's leather duffel would be fantastic. Maybe a little pricey, but something like a Filson weekender bag would be the best groomsman's gift ever.

I have been in 2 weddings and got 2 CHEAP engraved money clips. I hate them.
Do something different- buy each person a gift for them- it's your wedding. You do not have to follow tradition.

Filson bags are expensive, but they will literally last a lifetime. I have one of their garment bags and the thing will last forever. Here's one of their duffels.

not sure of what your other hobbies may be. i make knives when i have free time. i thought that custom knives for all of my groomsmen would be great. i made 5 folding knives, all the same except for handle material. this one was made with oak burl that was harvested from a fallen tree on our ranch in leakey, texas.
P3080018.jpg

P3080006.jpg

i've been in a couple of weddings -- i've gotten a lighter with my initials for one, a set of cuff links for one and a cigar holder and cutter for another. I use all but the cuff links regularly.

I like the idea of the knife. Overall though, I'm a big fan of individualized gifts.

For my attendants, I'm still not sure what I'm going to get them. One is an irish drunk, so I am thinking flask and a good bottle of Jameson. One is a music buff, so I am probably going to get him tickets to a concert and something small, the last one, I'm still not sure on... maybe a knife. :)

i made shaving brushes for all my groomsmen and found some mugs with their first name initial on them to put some soap in.

I spent way more than I should have on groomsmen gifts; but those guys are special to me so I talked the wife into going totally cheapo (but tasteful) on the table decorations, announcements, table centers, etc and spending more money on gifts/mementos to the special people in our lives.
That was awesome for you wife to do. It makes sense to me to spend the money on the people important to you rather than high dollar napkins, but usually a Bride thanks otherwise :)

I have been in 2 weddings and got 2 CHEAP engraved money clips. I hate them.
Do something different- buy each person a gift for them- it's your wedding. You do not have to follow tradition.
I vote +1 to personalizing the gifts. I had planned on this but slacked off and ran out of time.

I gave all of my groomsmen Leatherman Waves. I think they appreciated them.
These are a great idea too! What guy doesn't like a Leatherman!

Everyone in my wedding golfs. I got them all gold plated putters with our names and the date engraved on them. Looked really cool. Only thing is I didn't think to get one for myself:mad:

Back