Hops... Throw em in or bag em' in...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bittering Hop usage..

• Toss em' in.

• Put them in a bag silly head.

• Don't know!

Results are only viewable after voting.

timgman

Reaction score
Just wondering.
the last few brews we did we simply tossed the hops in at their respective time.. say 45 mins and 15 mins...
should I bag em'
I understand that utilization will be best if the're tossed in but it seems that it'll throw the expected ibu off.

Our last honey-b clone is a bit more bitter than I'd expect.. perhaps just caused by it being in it's youth.

I was expecting a more malty brew...

It's tasty anyway...:mug: but not all my friends are hop-heads like I am...

I use whole hops pretty regularly, so I use a hop bag like this:

IMG_5260.JPG

4-to-3 inch CPVC coupler, a couple carriage bolts for the supports, and a paint strainer bag attached with a worm clamp.

Nice and easy.

I've done both. I don't know if it makes a difference.

I like tossing the whole leaf hops and plugs because you can strain them out easily and it is cool to watch them float.

I've used bags with pellets as well as just tossed them in. I don't know that I can detect a difference in bittering efficiency.

I've been told that you don't want much hop residue in the fermenter, and I've done that both ways as well--carefully siphon wort into fermenter as well as toss all hop residue and hot/cold break into fermenter. Again, I don't know that I can tell a difference one way or the other.

I'm not saying there isn't a difference, just that I haven't been able to detect one.

Anyone else have an opinion?

I like that set up.

What's a 'Worm Clamp'? Is that like a hose clamp where the circular metal band gets its circumference reduced and tightened by the screw?

I just toss 'em in. If I use a bunch of leaf hops, I'll strain a bunch out after cooling the wort. However, I now use pellets much more than leaf hops, so I don't worry about it so much.

TL

Pellets are by far the easier way to go, but I really like whole hops as well; no matter which I use I strain going into the carboy.

Whole hops can be a real PITA since they get stuck all over the coils of immersion chillers and take a long time to strain out when going into the carboy. For my next brew on the weekend using whole hops, I'm going the bag route ;)

If you go the suspended hop bag route, I'd recommend CPVC or Metal. My PVC one melted on me during a long boil.

I remember you posting on that before, Soper! Mine is actually CPVC, I'll edit my OP....no problems yet after 10+ batches on this rig!

I just toss in pellets, I use a bag for leaf. Leaf clogs up the spigot on my keggle.

I like to throw it all in and let it boil, but I think I'm going to start racking into the carboy after cooling. That way, I'll have a little more control over how much sludge goes in. I think a little hop residue is desirable.

If you go the suspended hop bag route, I'd recommend CPVC or Metal. My PVC one melted on me during a long boil.

That looks like a DWV fitting of some sort. Some of those aren't 100% PVC.

And as a side, flyangler18's doesn't look like CPVC to me either. I've never seen a white CPVC fitting. :confused:

Oh... I just toss 'em in pellets or whole. They whirlpool out just fine for me.

Back