how much should a co2 refill cost?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I consistently pay $20 for a 5lb fill (no exchange) but I only need to do it like, every 5-6 months, so it's no big deal. Plus there is a place here that will fill until 1AM. Had a pressure release valve go on me an hour before a halloween party and they filled it at 8PM on a Saturday. Can't beat that.

$7 for my little 5 lb tank at our local fire safety shop. I get about 10 cornies from one tank.

It's $20 for 5# at Air Gas in Barre. They said it's exchange only... I'll never see my brand new tank again. Is that fine?

It's $20 for 5# at Air Gas in Barre. They said it's exchange only... I'll never see my brand new tank again. Is that fine?

Just swapped out my brand new tank at the local welding shop for a $10 exchange only "fill" on the bright side, if I never move and they never close, perhaps I won't have to worry about hydro testing...:drunk:

Dragging this old thread up again as I just got sticker shock on CO2.

I swapped out my #20 CO2 cylinder at my local AirGas this morning and it was $30.95 with tax.

I paid $16.83 including tax for the last swap (also AirGas in March of '13).

That's an 84% increase over last year. I asked the guy at the counter for an explanation and the only thing he could say is "things go up sometimes". Gee, thanks.

What's the deal? I know prices go up but 84% in one year is a crazy number unless there's a some reason.

$18 for 5# exchange at the welding supply house here in central California. It's only $22 for a 10# so you pay a premium to have a smaller tank.

My LHBS exchanges 5# for 17$
My Friend gets his 20#'s filled for 7$ at local welding supply shop, he owns a couple of resturants, I will be dealing with this guys when i need refills.

On 3/17/14, I paid $24 to have my 5# tank filled at a fire extinguisher shop.
Seems like I pay a bit more than others but they are nice folks and do it quickly on my lunch hour.

The main reason why I go there is I don't want to exchange my nice aluminum tank that I bought new.

I had my 10 lb. CO2 tank refilled recently at a cost of $18.00 at a local fire extinguisher service company in Wheeling, IL.
I had been using another company closer to home, but they typically charged about $4.00 more for the same service.

Just had my 50lb tank filled this morning....$36.22 (Carrollton GA)

At some of the prices I saw here, i'd go back to bottling lol

Woah! 50lb (do you mean 50 cu ft?). How big is that cylinder?

I just bought a 15lb yesterday. The place I go for refills charges 24 for 5lb/ 26 for 10lb/ and 28 for 15lb

I was worried that 15lb would even fit in my keezer but it did!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Woah! 50lb (do you mean 50 cu ft?). How big is that cylinder?

CryoFX-co2-high-pressure-tanks-chart-web.jpg

I pay $22 for #5 refill at a fire safety store.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

I work for a company that services fire extinguishers. I fill them myself for free. :)

For what some of you guys are paying for the smaller tanks doesn't make the $30.95 I paid for my 20# refill sound so bad.

What gripes me is a price increase in one year of 84% with no reason. I understand sometimes there are circumstances that justify a huge price increase but with this, there doesn't appear to be. I wish I would get an 84% increase in my paycheck for no particular reason!

I called another AirGas in another town and they said the same thing as my local store. "Oh yeah, we had a price increase", with no other info.

One thing I do like about AirGas is that they never charge for a cylinder inpection. They don't even look at the dates staped on the cylinders duing the trade for a full one. That's the downside to having your own cylinder filled instead of trading it for a full one. Only bad thing is sometimes you get some down right ugly ones.

Whoa, Is this normal for up there???

ya it seems to be. also no one up here owns there own tanks or the price is even more. i think most places must collect the smaller tanks and then send them out to get filled elsewhere.

i haven't looked around this year since i don't use all that much gas.

Sounds like you're in the wrong business! At $8/lb you'd think cars ran on the stuff.

Man some of you guys are getting ripped off at like $4.00/lb. The most expensive place around is adventures in homebrewing at $2.00 a lb. and they're open on the weekend and refill. I had my 15# tank hydrotested, replaced the safety seal, and filled for $42 at Fire Safety (Royal Oak, MI), just the fill would have been $21 ($1.40/lb).

Have been paying $15 plus tax for a 5 pound fill for a few years. Recently scored a nice 20 lb alum tank for $15, $22 for pressure testing and $18 for a fill.

Only downside of a bigger tank is that a leak is more expensive....haha well maybe not cause now I'm paying for 20 lb about what I used to for 5 lb.
Cheers!

Back