Bear Republic: Hop Rod Rye clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GoldenShowerGladiator

Reaction score
i'm copying the extract recipe out of Brew magazine. it says to steep grains in 2.25 gallons of water. how much does that matter? i normally steep with 4-5 gallons of water

also, theres a .5 oz. Centennial hop addition at 30 minutes. i thought about throwing in an extra .5 oz of Amarillo. no harm, right?

It probably doesn't matter much for steeping grains, but typically you'd use 1.25-2 quarts of water per pound of grain just in case there are grains in there than could/should be mashed. Using less water is generally better for pH also (less risk of tannin extraction), but steeping in a higher volume probably won't matter too much for many steeping grain recipes.

If the recipe uses rye, though, I'd assume it's a partial mash and following the instructions.

it is a partial mash. i'm steeping more grains with this than any beer i've made before. i'm afraid with 3 grain bags the water won't be high enough. i made it 4 gallons. thanks for the help

it is a partial mash. i'm steeping more grains with this than any beer i've made before. i'm afraid with 3 grain bags the water won't be high enough. i made it 4 gallons. thanks for the help

Using more grain bags is a great idea- but don't go over 2 quarts of water per pound of grain if you want conversion!

i began boiling before i read what you wrote. so it'll be about a 75 minute boil. what kind of changes occur from a longer boil?

If you add the hops at the beginning of the boil, you'll have a very slight increase in bitterness in a 75 minute boil vs a 60 minute boil. A longer boil may have more mailliard reactions like darkening of the wort, but overall there shouldn't be any changes. That's one reason it's not necessary.

i sure can:

4.25 lbs of Light DME

GRAINS:
1 lb 2 row
2.5 lb rye malt
1.25 lb flaked rye
1.15 lb Munich
0.625 lb wheat malt
0.625 Carapils
1.75 oz black bitter

HOPS:
0.75 oz Columbus (60 min.)
0.5 oz Centennial (30 min.)
0.5 oz Amarillo (30 min.)
1.75 Columbus (0 min.)
0.75 Amarillo (dry)
1.0 oz Centennial (dry)

Irish moss (15 min.)

Wyeast 1272 (American Ale II)

i steeped my grains for 45 minutes at about 152 degrees. i boiled for 75 minutes (i thought i needed to do a 90 minute boil but a dude in this thread said i only needed to do it for 60. i had already started by the time i'd read it). not much else to note. i made a yeast starter the day before. the carboy is still going nuts. nothing like sitting here playing Portal 2 on my 360 and looking over at her doing her fermentation dance.

I am too curious,but is cali v wlp051 the same as american ale II,ive heard responses it is, but descriptions are different.I just started using this yeast and plan on brewing more with it using this recipe maybe.Also a black ipa.

I like reviving threads from the depths.......this is one fine brew. How did it turn out, has anyone else tried it, does anyone else love this beer as I do? I can't find it anymore, so I need to brew it!!!!

Please help me.

Back