Water Profile help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

caraudio90

Reaction score
I was able to get my water report online and I am not sure if it has all the info I need to give me a full analysis of my brewing water. Also from what I have looked at I don't really know what I can determine from it. I want to know if my water is way out of whack or should I leave it alone. This is the info I got. Any help would be great.

Hardness (as CaCO3/L) 132
Alkalinity 100
Sodium (ppm) 6.8
Chlorine 0.4

This is the link to the report if i left anything out. I just pasted the stuff I thought was important to brewing.
http://www.cityofevanston.org/departments/publicworks/water/pdf/2007_Water_Quality_Report.pdf

You usually want the ion concentrations (Mg, Ca,...) also. You should have a look at the water section on How To Brew to see what we're looking for. However, I suspect that Evanston's water is similar to Chicago's. If it is, your water is just fine provided you use a carbon filter to remove some of the off-tastes (and perhaps add some campden to get rid of the chloramines if you like). I brew with Chicago's tap water, and if I remember right, it's somewhat similar to London's water.

Back