Secret Santa Sour Swap

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Growlers absolutely ship fine. Its usually best if you can get the 32 ounce flip top. If they are screw top the black plastic ones are better as oxygen barriers, but just tape the lid really well, I have drank many a shipped growler and they are always tasty.

If you don't have this filled up by Sunday I'll probably join, I can fulfill the requirements without buying a single beer, and it would just be cost to ship, which is low with a light box, so I'll keep my eyes on this thread...

You know you want to...

Alright guys, we've got 12 so far. I'll cut it off tomorrow afternoon and work on getting everyone their recipient. Join up if you still want!

Are we considering 100% Brett beers in this swap? There really isn't a BJCP category for these although they tend to score best in 16E. If its up for vote, then I vote yes, especially since I just got an extra limited release 100% Brett beer from The Commons that I can ship. If not, then I'll stick to strictly Category 17 stuff.

Brewbien said:
Are we considering 100% Brett beers in this swap? There really isn't a BJCP category for these although they tend to score best in 16E. If its up for vote, then I vote yes, especially since I just got an extra limited release 100% Brett beer from The Commons that I can ship. If not, then I'll stick to strictly Category 17 stuff.

If it's up for a vote, I vote yes. If I received that I wouldn't complain.

Brewbien said:

I say yes. It definitely qualifies as a sour, and meets the original rules here, right? Plus I already bought a good one to ship.

If it's up for a vote, I vote yes. If I received that I wouldn't complain.

I am in for this for sure.

I would be happy to receive an 100% Brett beer, I vote yes.

I vote 100% Brett beers should be included.

From the original post from this thread :
-Sour beer only. These beers should have souring yeasts/bacteria such as Lactobacillus, Brettanomyces, acetobacter or Pediococcus. Take a look and understand the differences between category 17 and categories 16 & 18.

From the original post from this thread :
-Sour beer only. These beers should have souring yeasts/bacteria such as Lactobacillus, Brettanomyces, acetobacter or Pediococcus. Take a look and understand the differences between category 17 and categories 16 & 18.

That's why I asked. Category 17 is for Sours, all of which (at least from my understanding) have bacteria not just Brett. Category 16E is where most people generally enter Brett'd beers and there isnt really a category for 100% Brett beers (American Wild Ales) yet. I interpreted two_hearted's original post to mean that he wanted a true sour trade but it seems like everyone is on board for Brett beers so thats a plus. :mug:

The OP stated this in the OP:

These beers should have souring yeasts/bacteria such as Lactobacillus, Brettanomyces, acetobacter or Pediococcus.

I would interpret this to mean a brett beer would be acceptable. I hope nobody sends me an acetobacter beer though.

i'm down for 100% Brett beers - personally not so interested beers secondaried with Brett without souring bacteria

Hey guys, sorry I'm now on vacation and was enjoying the day in the desert sun! Yes, 100% Brett beers are fine in this swap!

Has anyone received their info yet?

Edit: NM I saw where he extended until tomorrow but it showed as being posted yesterday...

The OP stated this in the OP:

These beers should have souring yeasts/bacteria such as Lactobacillus, Brettanomyces, acetobacter or Pediococcus.

I would interpret this to mean a brett beer would be acceptable. I hope nobody sends me an acetobacter beer though.

I have a very low tolerance for acetobacter to, blegh!

I love malt vinegar just not in my beer... Not that there can't be any exceptions to that rule, I just haven't found any

Same here.

A new local brewery tweeted a few months back that they just blended a Belgian Dubbel with 18yo Balsamic Vinegar to be bottled.

I havent had their beer yet, but that beer makes me think they dont know what they are doing.

Got my recipient! Time for shopping tonight now.

Same here.

A new local brewery tweeted a few months back that they just blended a Belgian Dubbel with 18yo Balsamic Vinegar to be bottled.

I havent had their beer yet, but that beer makes me think they dont know what they are doing.

Sounds interesting enough to be tasted, but not sure I would want a whole bottle.

Don't forget that brewery swag or other goodies are optional, but encouraged! I think it would be fun to throw in something local to you too. For example, I could include some goetta or Cincinnati chili or something non-perishable...

i assume it's ok to disclose your name to the recipient if you chose to do so in/on the package?

is return address or include a note inside?

i assume it's ok to disclose your name to the recipient if you chose to do so in/on the package?

is return address or include a note inside?

Absolutely. We usually post pictures of our beers after receiving and the sender can chime in at that point. Its just fun to keep it a secret in the beginning so you don't know where your beer is coming from.

Although, people liek me set up a UPS mychoice account so you know whenever a box is heading your way.

I'm visiting my family in southern California, so hopefully I can find some good west coast sours to ship along with some Midwestern ones. My recipient may be a lucky dude.

oh nice, stayed there a few years ago at the condos next door

if you were in LA/SD area i was going to suggest some bottle shops and if close enough grabbing a beer

thanks again for organizing

Back