Do i really need to prime or can I not?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jasebrooker

Reaction score
Hi all.

I've just finished bottle conditioning a harvest mild beer kit, this is my second one now and I'm really happy with the taste but the only thing I'm not so keen on is the fizz. I like a good flat ale so I was wondering if primming sugar is completely necessary? I guess I could limit the amount I use. It isn't really fizzy or anything, it's just that I prefer beer with out the fizz.

J

A lot of kits come with five ounces of priming sugar -- this is enough to quickly carbonate even the most screwed-up of batches (think old yeast, wonky fermentation temps, sat in the closet for an extra three weeks, etc, etc), but is too much for a well-executed batch.

If you want something that's as flat as, say, a glass of wine, feel free to skip the priming sugar altogether -- but, if you just want a lower, more style-approriate level of carbonation, find yourself a priming sugar calculator you like and use the amount it recommends (probably way less than the full five ounces that come with your kit).

I've been using the priming calculator to put in the recommended amount, it's not that its over carbonated, it's just that I don't like the fizz. I'll try my next batch without the primming sugar, see how that goes :)

I've been using the priming calculator to put in the recommended amount, it's not that its over carbonated, it's just that I don't like the fizz. I'll try my next batch without the primming sugar, see how that goes :)

Take one of your beers that are too fizzy, pour it in a glass and leave it sit for a couple days and then drink it flat. Pretty easy way to see if this is what you are looking for without the hassle of brewing a whole batch.

Also, how long are your beers being refrigerated before drinking, the longer they are in the fridge, the more CO2 gets absorbed into the beer so maybe you aren't allowing enough time.

How are you pouring the beer. I like to pour straight down the center and allow the foam to rise thick, allow to settle and pour some more. This method produces a nice thick, long lasting head and a lot of the initial "fizzy" comes out.

Also, try using only .75oz of priming sugar per finished gallon of beer. BTW, you should be weighing out the sugar and not measuring by volume as it is much more exact.

Hi duboman.

I usually try to refrigerate them for about 2 days each so I might try 3 days. I'd rather not pour it out and leave it as I assume it will produce off flavours anyway. When I pour I pour gently to the edge of the glass which reduces the head, makes sense to pour it how you say to release the gas so I'll try that also. With my priming sugar I used I think about 60g (I worked it out on the priming calculator) for my 5gal batch.

I like to pour straight down the center and allow the foam to rise thick, allow to settle and pour some more. This method produces a nice thick, long lasting head and a lot of the initial "fizzy" comes out.

Not the method I usually use. But it makes some sense. Couldn't resist this oldie but goodie...

Last edited by a moderator:
60 grams would definitely not produce an over carbonated beer in a 5 gal batch

Maybe you need to describe "fizzy" a little better as that amount would almost render a flat beer
:confused:

I've just cold crashed and it's MUCH better, nice and flat how I like it :D

Back