How to secure paint strainer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

motleybrews

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Bought a keg setup today and got everything cleaned and ready. When it came time to rack into the keg, I couldn't figure out the best way to get the paint strainer to stay attached to the auto siphon (I dry hopped w pellets). Ended up using zip ties. Had to cram it down into the neck of the carboy.

It wouldn't come out, and when I forced it, I ended up breaking the auto siphon. No worries I've got another.

Good news is, I've got a batch of EdWorts Haus Pale Ale freshly kegged for the kegs maiden voyage.

But basically, how do you get the paint strainer to stay?

I attach the hops strainer bag to the end of the hose that goes into the keg ... also using zip ties.

For future batches you could put the hops in the paint strainer bag, tie unflavored/unwaxed dental floss to it and put it in the fermenter. That is if you use better bottles. Alternatively you could do the same in the keg. When dry hopping is done, pull it out.

Cool thanks. Figured it'd be simple. I thought about Putting the strainer on the end of the hose, but wasn't sure if that would aerate the beer going into the keg.

On a positive note, the beer tasted super good. Followed the recipe exactly using cascade but ended up dry hopping with 2oz of Simcoe. Really looking forward to this one

Cool thanks. Figured it'd be simple. I thought about Putting the strainer on the end of the hose, but wasn't sure if that would aerate the beer going into the keg.

On a positive note, the beer tasted super good. Followed the recipe exactly using cascade but ended up dry hopping with 2oz of Simcoe. Really looking forward to this one

Man that sounds good! I see a Cascade/Simcoe beer in my future :)

scoundrel said:
Man that sounds good! I see a Cascade/Simcoe beer in my future :)

Yea I'm stoked. I'd never dry hopped (or kegged) before. Went to the LHBS to pick up some more cascade to dry hop with and he had just gotten in Simcoe. I'd never used it, but had heard great things. Used my theif to pull a sample before I kegged it, and damn. That was mighty tasty.

Yea I'm stoked. I'd never dry hopped (or kegged) before. Went to the LHBS to pick up some more cascade to dry hop with and he had just gotten in Simcoe. I'd never used it, but had heard great things. Used my theif to pull a sample before I kegged it, and damn. That was mighty tasty.

I'm not surprised! You made a great selection! I bought my ingredients today, thanks for the inspiration.

Back