mold in my fermentation chamber

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

donjonson

Reaction score
I hve been fermenting my dunkelweizen for 8 days now. I have been slowly raising the temperature fom 65 to 73 over the past few days since fermentation slowed down. Thismorning I noticed mold on the outside of my carboy and in the chest freezer I use as a chamber. There is still outward pressure in my carboy but I am very concerned about potential contamination. should I rack to a plastic fermentation bucket and clean the chaber real good with clorox? or should it be fine if I let it sit the way it is for another 5 days?

Mold has been in my ferm chamber for some time now. It hasn't bothered by beer in any way. I think washing it at this point is more trouble than its worth.

CLOROX will not kill the mold, just bleach it white. Use 1 gallon of warm water and 1 ounce of chlorine bleach and 1 ounce of white vinegar (mix them in the water not together). That will kill the mold, you may have to do it twice and is best if you can let it set in the solution. I would watch the carboy closely, never made a dunkelweizen but I would let it set as long as possible. if the mold is near or gets near the mouth I would rack and clean all and everything. As soon as possible clean up that mold. Mold spores are a common allergen and those who have allergies (like me) hate mold!

My lager grew mold during the initial fermentation. Plan is to bleach with the recipe BrewinBR mentioned. Bleach alone is not enough.

However, RDWHAHB on the mold. It's more ugly than dangerous on the outside of the fermenter.

I carefully pried the lid off and siphoned into the keg and all is fine. I wiped the fermenter well and sanitized. Plan to soak in the bleach when I get a chance.

First be careful mixing Chlorine with any acidic liquid. I am not saying BrewinBR is wrong in any way, but when you start doing things like that, you are flirting with creating a chemical fume bomb that can burn you lungs and suffocate you. As far as the mold issue, I would leave it alone until your batch is done. I have had mold IN my carboy with a Hefewezein and when I racked it away from the beer, the beef was fine (this grossed me out a little at first, but in Palmer's How To Brew he actually says a little mold will not kill your beer.

First be careful mixing Chlorine with any acidic liquid. I am not saying BrewinBR is wrong in any way, but when you start doing things like that, you are flirting with creating a chemical fume bomb that can burn you lungs and suffocate you. As far as the mold issue, I would leave it alone until your batch is done. I have had mold IN my carboy with a Hefewezein and when I racked it away from the beer, the beef was fine (this grossed me out a little at first, but in Palmer's How To Brew he actually says a little mold will not kill your beer.

Yep. pay attention to the amounts and what you add to what. That is the reason I did not mix the solution up right after kegging. Want to make sure it's done right.

And most likely a bit of common mold won't be noticeable.

Well I ended up racking it last night. Exactly 8 days after pitching. FG was 1.10 so im pretty sure it was done fermenting. I did notice a diacetil flavor. When I tasted the sample. Since I racked it off the yeast cake do you think it will take longer for the beer to clean up some of these flavors? I did try to siphon some of the yeast cake with it into the secondary.

Back