Mold in my ferm freezer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shibbypwn

Reaction score
I use an upright freezer chest freezer with a Johnson digital temp controller for fermentation.

This was my first batch using it, and I just opened up the freezer after a four week primary to discover there was quite a bit of mold growing on the outside of my carboy, and in various other places.

Is there anything I can do to prevent this from happening in the future?

Hah I just did my first batch in my ferm freezer and had the same thing thing. Mine was definitely due to some wort that got on the outside of the fermenter. Rack carefully, and clean/sanitize the fermenter before sticking it in the freezer. Might need to give the freezer a good cleaning too.

Thanks.

As a side note, I have similar issues storing star San.

I keep a blue Tupperware container full of it, but it always gets moldy on the lid and walls.

I suppose I could just make a new batch every time, but I'm trying to be economical

I have the same with my ferm chest freezer in a detached garage. Not much can be done due to the outdoor humidity that will find its way into the freezer. Normally that humidity would just turn to frost but keeping the unit running at ale ferm temps means the humidity will just hang in as liquid. The temp and moisture make a perfect environment for mold and mildew. I wouldn't worry about it aside from using good sanitation techniques when you have to open your carboy and transfer your beer.

Edited to say I forgot to add that I have put my bottled beer in the same ferm freezer for the first two weeks after bottling. I have had to wipe some gunk off the bottles. No big deal.

Latest posts

Back