Yeast Propagation Stir Plate

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shane7676

Reaction score
Hello,

I am going to get started with creating a yeast bank, and it will become more important, even essential, to use starters.

I am looking into getting a stir plate. I wanted people's opinions about creating my own, getting something like the Stir-Starter, or buying a used laboratory one from ebay or somewhere.

I just feel like one that I could build or something like the Stir-Starter might not last as long as a used commercial one.

Let me know what you think!

Thanks,
-Shane.

Hello,

I am going to get started with creating a yeast bank, and it will become more important, even essential, to use starters.

I am looking into getting a stir plate. I wanted people's opinions about creating my own, getting something like the Stir-Starter, or buying a used laboratory one from ebay or somewhere.

I just feel like one that I could build or something like the Stir-Starter might not last as long as a used commercial one.

Thanks,
-Shane.

I have built my own and a bunch more for friends. They work well and I haven't had one fail so far. They should last indefinitely as they are only used occasionally and then only for a couple of days at a time. The bottom line is really the cost and how much you enjoy building your own stuff. I would get a commercial one if cost was not an issue. Some are heated which is an added convenience. I can build one for under $30 using all new quality parts. It's hard to find used commercial ones that cheap and it's a crap shoot as to what condition the used ones might be in. Most won't carry a warranty. I don't understand why the commercial stir plates are so expensive. There really isn't much too them.

Hello,

Thanks,
-Shane.

The Stir Starter is tuff to beat and can be had for a touch over $30 brand new. Tons of guys here have them and swear by them including myself. The manufacturer is also a member here. It is as reliable as any other commercial unit and the manufacturer stands behind his product and is easy to deal with.

If you have a power supply, old computer fan and an old hard drive you can do this for under $20. I took a 6v blue tooth charger and soldered a fan, rheostat and switch in series with it. Stir plate works great and I didn't have to sent the ~$40 from stirstarters.

If you have a power supply, old computer fan and an old hard drive you can do this for under $20. I took a 6v blue tooth charger and soldered a fan, rheostat and switch in series with it. Stir plate works great and I didn't have to sent the ~$40 from stirstarters.

this assumes that you own a soldering iron and other such supplies. I didn't, and now after buying all the random little things and the pain in the ass to find stuff like tiny bolts to hold the heatsink on the LM317T, etc I think I've spent a good $50+ (shipping included) and wasted lots of time. also found out that the power supply I am using is 30V output so now I have to track down something around 12V cause the fan spins so fast it just throws the bar. kind of wishing I had just bought one at this point.

Yea I had the soldering iron but they are only like $6 and it is something you will use again at some point. I will take a pic of my stir plate when I get home tonight but I did not need to bolt my fan down. The top of the project box puts enough force on my fan that it keeps in held in place. I was planning on just using super glue to hold it down, which I am sure would have worked too.

I used a bluetooth charger that is putting out 6vdc. I wouldnt even mess around with a LM317T if you had a power supply that put out ~6vdc. IMO, that stir starter design is a little too complex for something as simple as a stir plate. It works sure, but so does a rheostat and a power switch.

Back