I want to upgrade Please help a kid out

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rhthomas333

Reaction score
Im a college student and I currently make beer using the good old 5 gal brewery kit you get at your local beer supply store. What I want to do is find a setup that will allow me to make more and allow me to experiment with. I know people have small setups in garages and what not but can it get smaller?

just wanna see whats out there and whats possible. if you know any good sites please let me knw

If you want to experiment and fine tune your brews, then going all grain is your answer. You can use any of the 100's of grain varieties out there, and not be stuck to LME or DME for your base fermentable.

I moved from extract to all grain in college, not too bad on the pocket book... but this hobby does get expensive over time. I started with a basic igloo MLT, an 8 gallon pot and a turkey fryer, and now I have a full RIMS setup. It's all just how fancy you want to get, or can afford.

At any rate, you are in the right place. Just start reading. a lot. then read some more.

Im a college student and I currently make beer using the good old 5 gal brewery kit you get at your local beer supply store.
That's funny, I'm just an old fart who got the same kit in 1994.

Just buy more buckets and carboys...:D

You would have thought a college kid would have deduced that already...what's your major?

I hope you know I'm pulling your chain...no insults inferred...

Or if you want to experiment get yourself some of the cheap 1 gallon wine bottles. Im sure at a college that wont be a problem just go ask some of the girls. Then when you boil up a batch you can break it down into 5 smaller batches that you can play with different yeasts hops etc.

I hated to do this because you're so close and interested in earnest in the craft...

But you'll have to come back in July when you're 21.

...rhetorical post...

Back