Three cheese day!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yooper

Ale's What Cures You!
Staff member
Admin
Mod
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Yesterday, I made my first "cabre al vino" cheese. (Cabre al Vino Cheese Making Recipe - CheeseForum.org). It's in the press right now. I also made an easy chevre and then ricotta with the leftover whey. The ricotta is being eaten at the moment, by my husband, on a bagel. The chevre is still hanging in the bag, but I'll be putting it in the fridge soon.

I forgot to take pictures, though!

mmmm, need pics of those cheesy comestibles.

We really need to take pictures of our homemade cheese press. It involves a couple of old boards, cut to an almost square (no carpenters in our family!) and four towels, with a fine selection of bags of kitty litter to get to the proper amount of weight. Sometimes the weight is grain bags, sometimes bags of sugar, and sometimes kitty litter, or any combination of the three.

The hard cheese is now in the red wine bath, the ricotta is gone, and the chevre is molded and ready to eat whenever we want to have some.

Or never, ever share them ;)

Sorry! I still have the cheese press, which isn't as pretty as it sounds, but I haven't made cheese in about a year. I like it ok, but I no longer eat much dairy (never did really like dairy much) and I quit eating wheat and other grains. The last time I made soft cheese, I had nothing to put the cheese ON! I mean, chevre on a spoon just doesn't cut it. I don't eat oats, wheat, corn, rice, and so on. So no crackers or breadlike items for the cheese.

I stopped making hard cheeses, too, about the same time.

All the nutrients you need are contained in the head of the beer. The rest is just the icing on the cake. :ban:

The last time I made soft cheese, I had nothing to put the cheese ON! I mean, chevre on a spoon just doesn't cut it

When my wife and I splurge on some chevre, she loves to put it on her salads - it really takes it to a whole new level.

Back