Mini Mash - too hot for 10 minutes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grinder12000

Reaction score
I was doing a Mini Mash yesterday and after I reached 160 degrees I turned off the stove. Moved the pot most of the way off the burner and watched it for a few minutes.

I then went off and came back in 5 minutes later and noticed the temp was at 170.

So - for 10 minutes my mash was at 170.

Is this a huge problem????

Recipe

5lb Extra Pale LME

2.5lb 2-row
0.5ln crystal 90L
0.25lb victory
6oz Munics
3oz Biscuit

0.75 oz Perle 60min
0.50 Mt Hood 15 min
0.25 Glazier 5min

Did you end up low of the predicted OG. I brewed on Friday and my temp was too low for a few minutes, then to high towards the end of the hour. My OG was .002 lower then what it should of been and I am wondering if it was because the temp was too low in the beginning or too high at the end.

When an enzyme is denatured it will no longer function because the structure of the protein(enzyme) has been changed and unfolded.

Grinder12000,

You ask, "Is this a huge problem????"

I say no, not a huge problem at all. More than likely your finished brew will be different than intended, but tasty none the less.

If you were heating the mash on the stove all the while, then I'd say it passed through the sacc zone and was converted before it had time to denature. It should be ok.

I wouldn't even say it was a little problem, let alone a huge one. It might end up with a higher FG if you extracted a bunch of unfermentable sugars, thus, a little sweet.
Next time give the wort a little stir when taking temp readings. You may have taken your reading in a cool spot first, then a hot spot later (not sure about your setup or even if your thermo was calibrated)

Like it was said earlier, it'll still be beer, and probably still good too.

I have one of those glass top electric stoves - turn it off and it continues to heat.

It sounds like if you are going to error on temp lower is better then higher???

Thanks guys!

Thread hijacked: Whats the actual temp the the enzymes become de-natured?

Even near 160F you're going to be out of be out of the beta amylase comfort zone so the contribution from the minimash is going to be highly unfermentable. If it is a rather small mash compared to the extract addition, it might not matter.

I also recently learned that when heating a mash, you need to cut the heat a few degrees short anyway because the pot itself is going to put more heat into it.

Back