question of beer serving technique

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

html034

Reaction score
Now when it comes to beers that are ideally served at the warmer end, (in the 50's) how do you go about getting them to proper temp, assuming that your bottles are kept in a fridge below the proper temp.

Do you pull the bottle, and let it sit before opening, or do you pour the bottle, and let it sit before drinking?

When I want one of my RIS, I put it in the fridge for about a week, then pull it out and put it on the counter 30-45 minutes before I want it.

You want it to warm in the closed bottle because the best of the aroma is when first poured, then it subsides. You don't want to pour it and miss out on the nice strong aroma.

Another couple of reasons for leaving it in the bottle:
A brown or green bottle will keep more light away than the clear glass you're probably going to poor it into. With direct sunlight, some noticeable skunking can happen in as little as a few minutes.

After being poured, the beer will be exposed to the air and can oxidize, or might lose some carbonation while waiting for it to warm up a bit.

Back