using substitute yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wild Duk

Reaction score
I'm getting ready to brew up a blue moon style belgian. The LHBS didn't have the yeast I wanted WYeast 3944 Belgian Witbier, so I will be using WYeast 3068 Weihenstephan.

Any input to the outcome of my brew and how it will change the characteristics.

It an extract 6lbs wheat, willamette and crystal hops, orange and coriander for flavor.

Thanks

I haven't brewed w/ 3944 but I have with 3068 and it is going to give you flavors that i've never tasted in a Blue Moon or other Belgian Wit. :ban: Great for Bavarian Hefe, not so sure about the Wit. Why not brew a hefe and then the wit when you get the right yeast?:mug: :drunk:

Regards,
Al

I've used both.

I use 3068 for hefe's, gives banana character/cloves around 68, might clash with what you actually want. you'll probably end up with something closer to a hefeweizen.

I had diacetyl issues with 3944, but it went away after awhile and I'd say I liked the final product better than with the 3068, especially if you want a belgian wheat.

I love both those yeasts though.

In short, while they are very similar wheat beers their flavors are different because of the yeast.

My recommendation is there are no substitutions for yeasts if you are tryig to brew to style.

Sure, you can brew it, but it won't be what it should be and you may be disappointed.

Since you have the 3068 why don't you just brew a weizen?;)

homebrewer_99 said:
In short, while they are very similar wheat beers their flavors are different because of the yeast.

My recommendation is there are no substitutions for yeasts if you are tryig to brew to style.

Sure, you can brew it, but it won't be what it should be and you may be disappointed.

Since you have the 3068 why don't you just brew a weizen?;)

Couldn't have said it better :p

I am a firm believer that some styles are all about the yeast.

Latest posts

Back