Looking for a good AG recipe book

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ImperialStout

Reaction score
Looking for a good AG recipe book. Have "How To Brew" and "Designing Great Beers", consider them "Go To" books to learn about brewing beers. Read "Joy Of Brewing" and "Brewing Classic Styles" and was not impressed. Now looking for a good book on AG brewing recipes. Considering "Best Of Brew Your Own 250 Classic Clone Recipes" and "Clone Beers". There is another series of "Classic Brews", each volume dedicated to one style. Any thoughts?

i have "Best Of Brew Your Own 250 Classic Clone Recipes" definitely a fun read

Northern Brewer has all of their recipes available through their site - pdf sheets. They seem to be a pretty good place to start.

What didn't you like about Brewing Classic Styles? I brew the all-grain recipes from that book all the time and most of my ribbon winners have come from it.

+3 on brewing classic styles. The recipes in that book are winners for sure. I know a couple guys that have won countless medals at homebrew comps with the recipes in that book.

I've loved all the recipes I've done from Brewing Classic Styles. I know they're presented as extract recipes but I'm sure he took his award winning all-grain recipes and converted them to extract for the book.

"How To Brew" and "Designing Great Beers" are great books, and should allow you to formulate your own recipes.

Use recipes for the first few beers to get you on the right track maybe, but you need to figure out how to design your own great beer. You will NEVER EVER duplicate anyone's beer, with a given recipe. Too many variables that are different in your brewhouse and techniques compared to whoever came up with the original recipe.

Start with simple recipes - like Pale Ales with one or two grains, and you'll make good beers. Switch out a certain grain with another grain and see how it affects the taste. Same with hops. Build from there. Pretty soon you'll be able to read about what a certain style calls for, and be able to simply come up with your own.

Don't get addicted and too reliant on someone else's recipes, or trying to make clone beers all the time. You can do better when you learn your own system and tastes.

I personally love brewing classic styles, I use the grain profiles for what ever style I'm making as inspiration. The grain bill i brewed yesterday came from that book, i just changed the hops.

I borrowed 80 Classic Brews and discovered most, if not all recipes are written for extract. Some negative reviews said the same things, the AG conversion recipe was not accurate and neither were the hops and yeast selection for the style. I don't know. It makes me wonder if several people say the same thing. On the other hand the overall rating is positive and two guys from a brew club I just joined recommended it so bought it. Also bought the Scotch Ale, Barley Wine and IPA books from the Classic Beer Style series. Didn't buy the Stout book as it got bad reviews, too technical and chemistry formula driven. I have read "How To Brew" by Palmer and "Designing Great Beers" by Daniels so figure with all these resources, and this web site, a bad beer can only be attributed to operator error.

I borrowed 80 Classic Brews and discovered most, if not all recipes are written for extract. Some negative reviews said the same things, the AG conversion recipe was not accurate and neither were the hops and yeast selection for the style. I don't know. It makes me wonder if several people say the same thing. On the other hand the overall rating is positive and two guys from a brew club I just joined recommended it so bought it. Also bought the Scotch Ale, Barley Wine and IPA books from the Classic Beer Style series. Didn't buy the Stout book as it got bad reviews, too technical and chemistry formula driven. I have read "How To Brew" by Palmer and "Designing Great Beers" by Daniels so figure with all these resources, and this web site, a bad beer can only be attributed to operator error.

BCS is certainly written towards extract brewers but the all-grain conversions are accurate IMO. Jamil Z is an all grain brewer and those are the same recipes he has used to win numerous competitions. All my ribbons, except one or two, are recipes straight out of BCS. A few of his recipes will deviate slightly from BJCP guidelines, but he usually will explain why in his synopsis for that recipe.

BCS is certainly written towards extract brewers but the all-grain conversions are accurate IMO. Jamil Z is an all grain brewer and those are the same recipes he has used to win numerous competitions. All my ribbons, except one or two, are recipes straight out of BCS. A few of his recipes will deviate slightly from BJCP guidelines, but he usually will explain why in his synopsis for that recipe.

Just got the book. I like it. Recipes and are based on styles. A good reference book. Just brewed a wee-heavy based on it.

Excellent, I'm glad you like it! I made the Scottish 70 schilling last fall and it took an honorable mention in it's category in a local competition. My favorites out of there are the Kolsch, which is a repeat brew for me, and his Vienna Lager. Those two are definitely my favorites. The Belgian Pale Ale recipe is also another favorite. I wonder if I can find a way to have Jamil autograph my thumb worn copy....that would be quite amazing. :)

Regarding BCS, I'm pretty sure that I've heard Jamil say that he started with AG recipes and converted them to extract because the publisher felt they would reach a larger audience.

BCS is my goto when formulating recipes.

To me, the recipes were based on a level where the Brewer can adjust to their brew house / equipment. Given most AG brewers have a beersmith like program. Maybe the neg. reviews are based on more of the brewer just starting AG?

I like the recipes. Also a good reference to styles (try looking for online recipes that cater to style profile and most likely it came from this book)

Latest posts

Back