A new cider on the market?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BadgerBrigade

Reaction score
I recently bought this because the guy at the liquor wholesale store told me it was new and rather good....
Has anyone heard of it?
Tried it?
What do you think?

4403F4B8-00C6-41E5-8010-179F4951A6CB-1804-000001BFA0B7F8A1.jpg

Angry Orchard is the cider side of Boston Beer Co./Sam Adams. This is their artisanal line of products (as opposed to their 6-packs), of which they have two varieties, both oak aged if I remember.

It was not bad and I think they produce another one in a very similar model but they were out of it at the liquor wholesale store then I went to

Angry Orchard Crisp, Angry Orchard Original Dry, and Angry Orchard Ginger are the ones I know and enjoy. I will have to give their Strawman a shot too.

angry-orchard-bottles.jpg

ICEMAN! That's the one I couldn't think of... Anyone try it? What is it like in comparison to the Strawman

Angry Orchard® Iceman (10.0% ABV; $14.99 per bottle)

· Inspired by the traditional ice ciders of Quebec, Angry Orchard Iceman combines crisp apples with notes of caramel and toffee for a cider that’s sweet but not syrupy or cloying. Aging the cider on oak adds a smooth, vanilla character.
· Iceman is medium-bodied, leaving a smooth finish with rich flavor and lingering sweetness on the palate.
· Pairing suggestion: This well-balanced cider pairs best with the sweet flavors in pork and enhances the tender, delicate flavors in foie gras. Its earthy finish compliments sharp cheeses while its caramel and toffee notes enhance sweet, savory and buttery desserts.

Angry Orchard® Strawman (10.0% ABV; $14.99 per bottle)

· Angry Orchard Strawman’s ripe apple, vanilla and honeysuckle flavors impart an earthy character complimented by a distinct aroma of ripe apples, wood, dark fruits and sweet citrus.
· Inspired by centuries-old farmhouse cider making techniques traditionally found along the English and French countryside, Strawman balances a distinct blend of culinary and bittersweet apples juices which are then aged on oak.
· Strawman’s wine-like characteristics leave a smooth, fruity and effervescent finish with lingering notes of wood and apple that are crisp off the palate, refreshing and flavorful.
· Pairing suggestion: Notes of caramel, toffee and vanilla give Angry Orchard Strawman a unique sweetness that matches up well to rich meats like pork and desserts like cheesecake. Its smooth, crisp taste also makes it an exceptional seafood pairing.

UpstateMike said:
Angry Orchard® Iceman (10.0% ABV; $14.99 per bottle)

· Inspired by the traditional ice ciders of Quebec, Angry Orchard Iceman combines crisp apples with notes of caramel and toffee for a cider that’s sweet but not syrupy or cloying. Aging the cider on oak adds a smooth, vanilla character.
· Iceman is medium-bodied, leaving a smooth finish with rich flavor and lingering sweetness on the palate.
· Pairing suggestion: This well-balanced cider pairs best with the sweet flavors in pork and enhances the tender, delicate flavors in foie gras. Its earthy finish compliments sharp cheeses while its caramel and toffee notes enhance sweet, savory and buttery desserts.

Angry Orchard® Strawman (10.0% ABV; $14.99 per bottle)

· Angry Orchard Strawman’s ripe apple, vanilla and honeysuckle flavors impart an earthy character complimented by a distinct aroma of ripe apples, wood, dark fruits and sweet citrus.
· Inspired by centuries-old farmhouse cider making techniques traditionally found along the English and French countryside, Strawman balances a distinct blend of culinary and bittersweet apples juices which are then aged on oak.
· Strawman’s wine-like characteristics leave a smooth, fruity and effervescent finish with lingering notes of wood and apple that are crisp off the palate, refreshing and flavorful.
· Pairing suggestion: Notes of caramel, toffee and vanilla give Angry Orchard Strawman a unique sweetness that matches up well to rich meats like pork and desserts like cheesecake. Its smooth, crisp taste also makes it an exceptional seafood pairing.

They sound very different, I'm bummed out that a wholesale place was out of the Iceman and only had the Strawman or I would've bought them both

bigego236 said:
I had the Iceman about a month ago and it was very good.

Also really liked the bottle:)

I heard that from the guy at the wholesale place...
He said Sam Adams is wanting to refine that label....

Glad to see Ice Man and Straw Man are good. I will have to keep an eye out for them.
I love the artwork on all of the Angry Orchard brands. Their website is pretty cool too.

BadgerBrigade said:
I heard that from the guy at the wholesale place...
He said Sam Adams is wanting to refine that label....

As in the picture label? It's the reason I bought that one over the strawman one, my beard was envious of his😄

Well I just called around, and I can't get Iceman or Strawman anywhere locally yet. One place said it will be about a month. :(

Well I just called around, and I can't get Iceman or Strawman anywhere locally yet. One place said it will be about a month. :(

Production is pretty small in terms of national distribution. BBC approached us to do the bottling on contract, I forget exactly how much but it was in the neighborhood of 30,000 gallons. From what I've seen, they're targeting selective markets to test the interest. Frankly, I'm surprised they missed the ROC area. Lots of cider drinkers in your neck of the woods.

Not a big fan of any of the A.O. ciders. I like the traditional europe ciders like magners and Strongbow. Doc's from NY is my fav. But I really like my own homemade dry cider.

Definitly a growing distinction between sweet and dry ciders. Would you call them American vs English in terms of style?

WilliamSlayer said:
Definitly a growing distinction between sweet and dry ciders. Would you call them American vs English in terms of style?

I'm wet behind the ears but I would...
Seems the English ciders don't have much sugar in them and they're mostly fermented out really dry... I don't lump Magner's in there Because it's pretty sweet and I think it's from Ireland...

The American ciders I think were originally meant to appeal to ladies while men were drinking beer, Very very sweet.

It seems now that ciders, the European ciders, are becoming more popular, so you're seeing more ciders in the US that are dry and less sweet; MANS CIDER... Lol

MarkKF said:
Not a big fan of any of the A.O. ciders. I like the traditional europe ciders like magners and Strongbow. Doc's from NY is my fav. But I really like my own homemade dry cider.

I really wasn't either because the first and only ciders of their is that I tried where the angry orchard crisp apple... It's way sweeter than the one I just recently had; their traditional dry

And just before it I had that Stroman's and that was good... A whole different animal then the sweet one in the smaller bottle.

As anyone tried Aspell dry English cider? If you like dry ciders give this one a try. Dry, crisp, clear, and just enough sweetness to give an apple taste. They also have a semi-sec that I have not tried yet but plan on doing so the next time I purchase a cider. And as a bonus they come in a 500ml wine bottle that is capped, for those that reuse bottles and like unusual ones.

bigego236 said:
As anyone tried Aspell dry English cider? If you like dry ciders give this one a try. Dry, crisp, clear, and just enough sweetness to give an apple taste. They also have a semi-sec that I have not tried yet but plan on doing so the next time I purchase a cider. And as a bonus they come in a 500ml wine bottle that is capped, for those that reuse bottles and like unusual ones.

Yes! Aspell is good stuff... Fun shaped bottle too...

71B3A436-A7B7-4BE9-9D79-D84D7E85AD01-809-000000DA2193F3D7.jpg

Here is one up on my cider deco shelf...

Back