Brewpot ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scottmc

Reaction score
Hello people, got a 15gl keg for my brewpot installed a dump valve on the side closest to the bottom as I could before hitting the curviture. I now have 2gl of dead space before hitting the valve. So are you guys just tipping the keg to the side to get all the wort out? Or adding more run off too make up for this dead space? But wouldnt that throw off all your hop quantities by adding additional run off? I also installed a dip tube with a false bottom. I know most of that space will be trub but wouldnt that only leave you with say 3.5gl-4gl of collectable juice? considering you did a 60min boil with 6.5gl of initial wort? sorry for all the questions, just a little confused.

scottmc said:
So are you guys just tipping the keg to the side to get all the wort out? Or adding more run off too make up for this dead space? But wouldnt that throw off all your hop quantities by adding additional run off? I also installed a dip tube with a false bottom. I know most of that space will be trub but wouldnt that only leave you with say 3.5gl-4gl of collectable juice? considering you did a 60min boil with 6.5gl of initial wort? sorry for all the questions, just a little confused.
mostly people either do tip the keg to the side or more commonly they install a dip tube with a screen type device on it to filter out most of the hops/break material. If you have a dip tube with a false bottom like they sell for a HLT you may find you will still suck through pellet hops and break material. YMMV. I personally use a big paint strainer to keep the whole hops all together and swirl the wort to make a big pile of break in the center and drain as much as I can without it becoming total sludge. Do whatever works for you RDWHAHB :mug:

By dip tube I think you mean siphon ? I use a false bottom and siphon in my MLT and my BK. It usually leaves nill in the bottom of each after the siphon gets air. There 3/16 off the ceter of each keg. Good luck and try to get away with having little to no deadspace.

Back