Very proud of my SWMBO today!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Balue

Reaction score
Well it has finally happened! SWMBO brewed her first batch today! :mug:

So SWMBO has been bugging me to make her a Lemon WIT. So I put together a recipe for her and took her down to home brew mart yesterday and we put together a partial recipe with a 6lb grain bill and a bag of wheat extract.

But what I did not tell her was that I was NOT going to be brewing this for her until we were putting the supplies in the car! :rolleyes: She kind of looked at me like I was nuts! But I reassured her I would be by her side as HER assistant brewer! Role reversal here, she has been mine for a while now.

Well she did great! Hit her temps and numbers perfectly! She loves the beers I make for her but I have never seen her as excited as she is about this batch and how she cant wait for it to be done and taste it! :ban:

Oh yeah and I also taught her the MOST important part of brew day, that she must drink home brew while brewing. So she laughed at me then went over to the kegerator and poured her self a glass! :)

Great for her and you! Mine barely drinks beer. Sometimes I wish she would be more interested, but then I remember what it's like to cook with her. We are both chefs, but apparently there's only one way to do it- hers. I like my alone time. Hope she enjoys her brew!

Groovy! :D My late wife used to brew with me both at home and on the job. While she never soloed, I am pretty sure she did everything at one point or another. Current GF is a great cook and loves anything creative, also enjoys good beer (although still experimenting ... introduced her to Celebrator the other night, religious experience! :D ), anyway, I think she will probably enjoy getting in on the act...

My kids (11 and 7) both show an interest, help out, ask questions, etc. It's a great family thing!

I would love to get my wife into brewing. She samples beer with me and enjoys it, but no interest in brewing her own sadly.

Ramitt said:
I would love to get my wife into brewing. She samples beer with me and enjoys it, but no interest in brewing her own sadly.

"Last week she told me a story 'bout free milk and a cow...." :)

My SWMBO drinks beer, but isn't exactly a connoisseur. She likes good beer, but it's the lighter and hoppier stuff (pales ales, IPAs, some mild sours/Belgians). Often, I'm glad about it. It's tough enough shelling over $5 for twelve ounces of great beer for myself, let alone $10 for the both of us!

Good for you op! It was a similar experience for me. She usually sits in the car when we got to the LHBS. But that time (tax return time),she wanted to go in with me. I was like Tim Taylor at that point. I went about getting what I needed,she scouted the fresh BB kits that'd just came in. She'll be brewing her 3rd batch today.
And just like your wife,she nailed her steep temps & everything. With me just supervising. I love having a brew mistress!...;)

She usually sits in the car when we got to the LHBS. But that time (tax return time),she wanted to go in with me. I was like Tim Taylor at that point. I went about getting what I needed,she scouted the fresh BB kits that'd just came in. She'll be brewing her 3rd batch today.
And just like your wife,she nailed her steep temps & everything. With me just supervising. I love having a brew mistress!...;)

Well luckily for us our LHBS also just happens to be Ballast Point. So she usually comes in with me and we do tastings before shopping!

I didn't tell her this but I secretly checked her mash 10 minutes in and it was right at 153. Then just before mash out as I was supervising her reading was 151. Only 2degree loss for the hour. This was doing a stove top/oven mash.

I love having a brew mistress!...;)

Haha I am going to call her this and see what she says! :D

Back