Keezer Build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

borovy3488

Reaction score
I'm trying to piece together a keezer. As of now, all I have is four pin lock kegs and a co2 regulator. I have $400 from Christmas, and am going to use all of it for this build. I'm pretty sure I'll be picking up my freezer tomorrow. It is $50, so that leaves me with $350. Is this enough for a decent three keg set up that can force carb?

I know that I want Perlick faucets, but other than that nothing has to be specific. The kits on kegconnection look good, and I like that they assemble before shipping. But, all of their kits come with a regulator, something I already have. I sent them an email asking for a custom kit, we'll see what they say.

How would you set this up? I'm clueless on what matters in a temp controller. Is there a certain brand I should get? What do you guys recommend?

If you can get a CO2 tank off craigslist, you'll likely have money left over. If you've got the kegs and a regulator, the CO2 tank is your last single biggest expense.

For a temp regulator, if you really want to go cheap you don't even need an external one. There's a big thread around here about adjusting your chest freezer's internal thermostat to get keezer temps. If you do want to go external, and all you're doing is serving out of your keezer, you can get a Johnson analog for $50 new. Again, craigslist is your friend: I got one for $15 used.

Rundownhouse said:
If you can get a CO2 tank off craigslist, you'll likely have money left over. If you've got the kegs and a regulator, the CO2 tank is your last single biggest expense.

For a temp regulator, if you really want to go cheap you don't even need an external one. There's a big thread around here about adjusting your chest freezer's internal thermostat to get keezer temps. If you do want to go external, and all you're doing is serving out of your keezer, you can get a Johnson analog for $50 new. Again, craigslist is your friend: I got one for $15 used.

I found a new 5 pound co2 tank at a local place for $45. Do you have a link to the thread you are talking about?

tagheuer said:
If you are a little bit handy, then this one is a good choice for a temperature control.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/ebay-fish-tank-controller-build-using-wal-mart-parts-261506/

I built one myself, but with different casing. As per the above link, the total build will be roughly $40. You can even save a bit if you have some of the parts laying around (i.e. power cord from computer, wire nuts)

I saw that one as well. How difficult is it? I've never done any wiring before. Hopefully I can just adjust the freezer I'm getting as per the link above. That would save some money.
The guy I'm getting the freezer from is getting a little iffy now though. Are there any decent deals on new freezers that can hold three kegs and a 5lb co2 tank that you guys know of?

Thanks for all the help!!

I saw that one as well. How difficult is it? I've never done any wiring before.

If you never do any wiring before, then I wouldn't suggest building one. Unless you have a buddy / neighbor / family, whom is familiar with high voltage wiring and able to assist you.

Hopefully I can just adjust the freezer I'm getting as per the link above. That would save some money.

To start, probably it's not a bad idea to just adjust the freezer temp directly. For me, I chose to go with the aquarium temperature controller, since I'm more comfortable in building one then messing around with the freezer mechanical thermostat.

If you have never done any wiring before, just follow this: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/ebay-fish-tank-controller-build-using-wal-mart-parts-261506/

The controller is cheap, the parts are cheap and there are labeled pictures in the thread. I tried to adjust the thermostat on my freezer, ruined it and had to bypass it. You can follow the directions on the thread and try to adjust it, but the ebay controller build is very easy (and it looks pretty cool when you get it done ;))

CGVT said:
If you have never done any wiring before, just follow this: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/ebay-fish-tank-controller-build-using-wal-mart-parts-261506/

The controller is cheap, the parts are cheap and there are labeled pictures in the thread. I tried to adjust the thermostat on my freezer, ruined it and had to bypass it. You can follow the directions on the thread and try to adjust it, but the ebay controller build is very easy (and it looks pretty cool when you get it done ;))

How much do you think it would be, parts and all, to build that controller? It doesn't look like it would be too difficult. Is there much of a difference between that one and the cheap analog controller? Besides the fact that I built it, and it looks pretty cool. :)

How much do you think it would be, parts and all, to build that controller? It doesn't look like it would be too difficult. Is there much of a difference between that one and the cheap analog controller? Besides the fact that I built it, and it looks pretty cool. :)

I would estimate it will cost around $40 to build one. If you have a spare computer power cord laying around, then you can save around 20% in total.

Just be sure that you order the right temp controller. I ordered mine from this seller:

eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices

When checkout, don't forget to specify the input voltage is 120VAC to the seller.

It is not difficult at all to wire and build. Just follow step by step shown in the link above and you should be ok. Other forum members are very helpful when you have any questions or need helps.

I'm not too sure how it measures to other commercial temp controllers, since I have none to compare. But I think it won't be much different, with respect to regulating the freezer temperature. Both should be able do their job pretty well. Maybe the difference is in accuracy.

Honestly for $40 to build one... just pay $50 and get order a Johnson or other similar brand. I got a digital Johnson temp controller already wired on the HBT classifieds for $35shipped!

dallasdb said:
Honestly for $40 to build one... just pay $50 and get order a Johnson or other similar brand. I got a digital Johnson temp controller already wired on the HBT classifieds for $35shipped!
The digital controller is better than a Johnson or ranco analog style controllers.

The two gang box and recepticle were a couple of bucks each, the face plate was a buck. The controller was about 25. An extension cord may run 6 or 8, but you probably have something around the house that you can use. I bought the pre wired Johnson controller for $75 for my ferm chamber. If I had known how much cheaper and how easy this was I'd never have bought the Johnson.

Jeebas said:
any news on this build? Are you doing a collar, tower or a coffin?

There is some news, actually. I have adjusted the freezers internal thermostat to around 40°f. I ordered all the parts from kegconnection, and will get the rest from Lowes/ HD tomorrow. I plan on working on it this weekend, and will try to take some pics. I am doing a collar build.

The freezer is white. I plan on using either 1x6 or 2x6 boards. Is there a size or type of lumber that is better than the other? Also, what kind of stain would you recommend?

There is some news, actually. I have adjusted the freezers internal thermostat to around 40°f. I ordered all the parts from kegconnection, and will get the rest from Lowes/ HD tomorrow. I plan on working on it this weekend, and will try to take some pics. I am doing a collar build.

The freezer is white. I plan on using either 1x6 or 2x6 boards. Is there a size or type of lumber that is better than the other? Also, what kind of stain would you recommend?

I think most people would recommend something in the hardwood side of things - like red oak. I went with pine, and did a lighter stain. From the way that I understand it, softwoods like pine or cedar don't take stain as well as most hardwoods, so you may be limited to lighter stain.

As far brands I did Minwax Pre-Stain Wood Conditioner to use on the pine to open up the pores to accept stain easier, 2 coats of Minwax Polyshades (combination stain and polyurethane) and 2-3 coats of Minwax Fast-Drying Polyurethane.

I was thinking of using poplar. Price is a consideration on this as well though. What would be a good hardwood that I should be able to get for a decent price? Is there any advantage of using 2x6 over 1x6?

I was thinking of using poplar. Price is a consideration on this as well though. What would be a good hardwood that I should be able to get for a decent price? Is there any advantage of using 2x6 over 1x6?

Poplar would be much cheaper than something like oak.

Folks who made collar builds could speak to it better - but I would use 1x6 rather than 2x6 - less to cut through and possibly mess up joints if you do anything other than a standard butt joint. Also you're gonna need to insulate the inside of the collar anyways. It also depends on the shanks you get, you'll have way more clearance on them going through 1x6 rather than 2x6.

Jeebas said:
Poplar would be much cheaper than something like oak.

Folks who made collar builds could speak to it better - but I would use 1x6 rather than 2x6 - less to cut through and possibly mess up joints if you do anything other than a standard butt joint. Also you're gonna need to insulate the inside of the collar anyways. It also depends on the shanks you get, you'll have way more clearance on them going through 1x6 rather than 2x6.

1x6 poplar it is. I'm stopping by HD tomorrow to get all of the materials. How would you recommend attaching the wood to the base of the freezer? I thought about attaching it to the lid, but to be honest, I'm not THAT handy, and I would think that it is more difficult to do. Although I do think having the lines and everything out of the way when replacing kegs would be a good thing. How much more difficult is it to do this?

Thanks for all the help guys, I will post some pics tomorrow!

I bought a second set of hinges from some website (just googled my model and "replacement hinges" or something to find them) and made it doubled-hinged, and then used weather stripping between the collar and the freezer top.

Otherwise, liquid nails or some other type of construction adhesive, and probably a bead of caulk after that to help seal things up.

No real big updates for today. I bought all of the materials, cut the wood, and got the first coat of stain on the wood. Everything is ready to go! I plan on putting on another coat of stain in the morning, the hitting it with polyeurethane. Once all of that is done and dry, I will assemble all of it (with pics)!

One question. I'm thinking about attaching the collar to the lid instead of the freezer itself. I bought some liquid nails today. Would removing the seal from the lid and attaching the wood with liquid nails hold enough? Also, would using the seal from the lid on the wood make a good enough seal?

Thanks!

Here's a small update for you. I have finished staining, and just applied the first coat of polyeurethane. The can says to wait 3-4 hours, sand, then put on another coat. Will waiting until tomorrow night hurt it? If not, ill deal with it and do it late tonight. What do you think? Here's a picture. Sorry for the poor quality, its from a cellphone with poor lighting.

ForumRunner_20120116_204619.jpg

So long as the poly is dry go ahead.If it balls up when you start sanding STOP!and let it dry over night.It really can't get over dry,so if you aren't in a rush it is better to leave it.

lylo said:
So long as the poly is dry go ahead.If it balls up when you start sanding STOP!and let it dry over night.It really can't get over dry,so if you aren't in a rush it is better to leave it.

That's what I thought. I'll just let it sit overnight, sand it, then hit it again. I just wanted to make sure. Thanks for the help!!

borovy3488 said:
That's what I thought. I'll just let it sit overnight, sand it, then hit it again. I just wanted to make sure. Thanks for the help!!

Yup I stained mine over the course of 3 days. Just threw a coat on after work and let it dry since I didn't want to stay up just to put a second coat on. Go slow while building. Don't rush. You want this thing to last a while. I rushed a bit and only went 1-2 coats of black paint on my keezer. Small nicks have started to show over time on the parts where I did 1 coat.

I've convinced myself that I don't mind. But deep down I do.

Finished the build! Here are a few pics from my phone. I wish I would have updated this thread more with build info. I might just make a post with all the details. Either way, ill take better pictures with a camera and post them.

Thanks for all the help guys!!

ForumRunner_20120121_233222.jpg

ForumRunner_20120121_233249.jpg

ForumRunner_20120121_233342.jpg

Back