Going into the hospital tomorrow (Dec 5)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nightbiker

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
First the back-story: I work in a large trauma center, I'm an RN in case management -more specifically, an ER Care Coordinator. I'm a night-shift worker.
(~~flashback effect~~)
Back in June the 29th of this year I was working and about 4 hours into my shift I got one heck of a bad headache, and reportedly (I really recall very little of the event) I went over to one of my co-workers and was telling her (a little loudly, I'm told) about a ringing phone that nobody was bothering with. No such event was taking place. I then said something incoherently and she says I started to drop. Turns out I had a head bleed (subdural hemorrhage, actually) that was large enough that it shifted my brain to the left by about 10 mm. There just isn't much room in a skull -at least not usually.
I was in the Neuro-ICU for 10 days after a craniotomy, then on the floor for about 2 days. I recall the last half of the last day in ICU.
(now back to the present).
Tomorrow (Dec 5) I go to get my skull piece back (I'll upload images of the missing section when I get back out -and when I can get it, I'll send up the pic of the bleed -though to be honest, its not much to look at). I'm anxious to get it back (wife wont let me ride my motorcycle until I do) but not too keen on going into the hospital in the first place (who is?).
I'll be out of work until at least Dec. 26, so to help pass the time, I'm brewing up a 10-gal batch of lawnmower to help with the ah, medication process. (pain control is a serious business :) ).
Then, SWMBO has decreed that since I'm not going to be able to work, we will go on a cruise for 6 days (Cozumel, then I think the Grand Caymen islands). Whatever, as long as there's beer, I don't really care where we go.
Well, the timer is telling me that the mash should be nearly finished, so see you folks later!!

haha....funny story....I am going to the hospital tomorrow too.....cardiology department. I'm 26 and in decent shape....but collapsed during a 5K race a few weeks back. In the ER, I was treated like a heart attack patient, my pulse was 180 for 4 hours. EKG and everything was fine...but they will be doing a stress echo and holter monitor tomorrow.

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you mcaple. Not too many years back I was checked in because my PCP was concerned at my newly elevated heart-rate. Turned out I'd caught a virus in the unit where I worked (critical care RN at the time) -it totally trashed my heart -my ejection fraction is %20 (<%50 is considered heart failure) -if I weren't so overweight, I'd have been a candidate for transplant -but to be honest, transplantation scares the bejesus outta me. I've just seen too many things go wrong -though in truth, the ones that go poorly are rare compared to the successes. But of course, the ones that go swimmingly don't end up back in our unit for recovery! :) I've still got my bum ticker, a defibrillator that has only fired off once (thank GOD. That hurt like hell! I would love to never experience that again).
I should have been in bed a few hours ago (like 4) but nerves, you know. Well, I'd better crash. Missed my mark and only made a 5 gal batch, but thats cool. By the time I get out of the hospital, it will be time to keg and I'll do a fast carbonation on it, and enjoy fresh homebrew....
See you guys online after they put my head back together (if SWMBO brings the laptop to the hospital -otherwise when I get back home).
Prost!

Good luck. We will be patiently waiting for you to return.

Hmmm. That gives me an idea. I wonder if anyone has ever brewed a batch from a hospital room?

I'm glad to hear you're doing better.

Can't wait for that pic!

So how did it go for ya big guy.....still waiting for my test results. I return my holter monitor this afternoon before I hit up another 5K.

Just got back home yesterday (after the hospital stay, SWMBO decreed we will go on a cruise, and we did -had a grand time, tried different beers and more than a little rum (just not together). Tomorrow I get the stitches out (I can hardly wait -they're driving me NUTS).
Just popped in to say 'howdy', and its time to go hit the keg again :) Hope everyone is doing well!!

Back