Spicy Christmas

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

craley1

Reaction score
So I'm thinking of brewing a Christmas ale with some spices. I've pulled a recipe and below are the spices I'm planning on using for a 5 gallon batch:

125 mL of Molasses
1 tsp of Cardamom
1 tsp of Cinnamon
1 tsp of Ginger
1 tsp of Orange Peel

My main question is when do I add these spices? The recipe I'm using has these added to the mash and then also to the boil. Since I'm doing this very late in the season, I'm not going to have time to let the flavors mellow out before Christmas so I don't want to make it too overwhelming.

Suggestions / Thoughts?

Usually spices and sugars are best added in the last 5 mins of the boil. Cardamom seems a bit high. I use it at .5 tsp for 5G...but it's a pretty good spice. I also like a single split vanilla bean, but each to his own. That's why holiday beers are so cool; there really isn't a 'right way'

Edit-You can also put cloves in...be very sparing..a little goes a LOOONG way with cloves

If you find you don't have enough of one spice or the other, you can always add in small increments in secondary.

Back