Glass Carboy?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey Dude, its not a stupid question at all. If its in good shape, it should be fine. I use a 5 gallon glass carboy for a secondary/bright tank. If its exactly 5 gallons, it might be a little small for a primary fermentation, if you do the standard 5 gallon batches. The krausen would probably push out the carboy during the fermentation. But you could do 4 gallon batch in it with no problem. It might be worth measuring exactly how big the carboy is.

Congrats on the free carboy! :ban:

Yup good, it's nice to have good friends. Just clean that sucker out with some sanitizer and also I would invest in a glass carboy handle. Don't want to break that thing.:)

And NOT the handle that goes around the neck! They aren't made to support the carboy. Use a milk crate or a brew hauler!

You might want to still use a plastic bucket for your primary to avoid some of the blow off problems. I got an old water 5 Gal carboy many years back and have used it ever since. I also got a 6 and half gal chemical carboy a couple years back. I cleaned it well and use that for primary and secondary. It works better for the primary because it gives that much more head space but it works great. I don't glow green so I guess I got all the chemical residue out or maybe not and I will learn about it later.

Back