Bulk Malt in Denver?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buffman

Reaction score
I'm looking into buying a mill and purchasing grain in bulk. I know the online vendors sell in bulk, but I'd like to buy locally. Fellow Colorado brewers, is there a good place to purchase 2-row malt in bulk?

I typically buy at Stomp Them Grapes as well, but I'd love to find someplace a little cheaper if possible.

I sent an e-mail to the Colorado Malting Company (see above). I'll share any response from them. It'd be nice to brew with grain truly from Colorado.

From the Colorado Malting Company:

We offer our "Colorado Base Pale." This is a high quality pale base malt with great ferment-ability. It comes in 1000lbs bulk bags delivered for $0.60 cents per pound or in 50 lb bags delivered for $0.65 per pound. You can take the product whole kernel or milled and there is no cost for milling...let us know what you need?

Thanks,

Jason
Colorado Malting Company
2064 County Road 12 South
Alamosa, CO 81101
"Malt with you in Mind"
(719)580-0051​

By my calculation, that's $32.50 for 50# delivered. I'm definitely considering it.

Ive been talking to colorado malting co they said its $50 dollars for a 50 pound bag price goes down the more u buy [im not shure how much] anyway im interested in maybe 2 50 pound bags anyone else? :rockin:eek:h! Im new here:cross:

Wayne1 turned me on to Colorado Malting earlier this year. Their only product is 2-row, and it's very good.

It turns out that the price from Colorado Malting was a typo. It is $0.60/pound for 500, not 50, pounds. For 50# bags, their price is $50, plus $10 for delivery. They were great about the mix-up, though, and offered to honor their quote.

Yeah, I was kinda surprised because $50 is the price I was quoted. They're great folks, but that only saves me about 50 cents per batch.

$50 delivered for a barley grown and malted locally still seems a pretty good deal. The Brew Hut tells me their 50# bag of 2-row is $45. That's before tax AND I have to pick it up.

Colorado Malting (Jason) is supposed to drop off 50# today. Anyone else expecting a malt delivery? I suspect they'll reschedule due to the weather.

I think I am definitely going to be giving them a call. I am over Berthoud in Winter Park though. I wonder if they'll devliver it all the way over here? :)

I'm still in for 200 lbs if a group buy is started. Even at $50 a sack over The BrewHut's $45.45 per sack I'd like to try out the local grown/malted grain. If we get enough interest in a group buy at least a pallet worth (2000lbs) we will all benefit from the .60/lb.

I would be in as well, although it would be hard for me to pick it up. Hopefully there is someone who comes to Winter Park to go skiing every once in a while.

I do have a bit of a snowboarding addiction... I can probably bring it out to you when Winter Park opens, or meet you around I-70 and 40 on my up to Copper.

Any way I'm in for 200 lbs.

I might be wrong, but I think that the Country Malt Group's Denver warehouse will sell by the half pallet. So we could try them, but we would still need another 500 Lbs.

I'll call to confirm later today.

It turns out that they will not sell to us because they do not want to take the trade away from the LHBS. I can't argue that point.

Can't argue the point, either. However, why are our LOCAL shops not buying a local product? I don't know anyone at The Brew Hut personally, or I'd bring it up.

Can't argue the point, either. However, why are our LOCAL shops not buying a local product? I don't know anyone at The Brew Hut personally, or I'd bring it up.

This is very true as well. I called the Western Country Malt, which isn't necessarily local, so I guess that is a legitimate answer from them. I do believe that Colorado Malting Company will sell to us.

I am still in for getting some Colorado malt. The only store I have found it in was Beer At Home. It was quite delicious, but far away from me to get some malt. I do like to support Hop To It, but like you said they don't have the local product.

I am definitely still in, and will actually be coming down for T-giving so I can pick it up then. I contacted Jason, and all we need it a 500 lb grain order for reduced prices. Who is still in? We had 500 lbs before... How much are you in for Jarrman?

I thought the minimum for the .65 per lb was 1000 lbs? I will be in Denver from Nov 29 - Dec 4 for classes at DU. I would be in for 100 at that price.

I am still in for 200 lbs. I won't be here next week, but I will be in Colorado from the 29 th on. So between DurangoHomeBrewMafia and myself that 300. How much are you in for Musketear?

if .65 / lb I'm still in for 200.

Edit: 27-30 works best for me as it's payday weekend so SWMBO won't miss it ;)

Back