Glass carboys rock...until you drop one!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think you over planned.

Plastic rocks until you get scratch's in it and it looks like crap.

I had to wait for the honeysuckle to bloom...Honeysuckle Blue. Did I mention I also spent about an hour and a half picking honeysuckle blossoms?

Cheeto, Thanks, it's coming to you.

I am kinda disturbed, I've used the carboy handles to move full carboys all the time, and never even thought they'd slip... I've found them near impossible to put on w/ them fully open, I never suspected they could slip off... please, someone tell me they've never had one slip off!

No, they can't slip off if you tighten them up properly. The manufacturer of the handles puts the disclaimer on them so that if someone were to pick one up by the handle and break the neck of the carboy, they can't be held liable for any injuries. I've never heard of someone breaking the neck, but I suppose its possible. In the meantime, I usually support them from the base. Better safe than sorry.

Speaking of milk crates, any surefire way to get them? I'm not sure where I could scare some up around my neck of the woods...

Speaking of milk crates, any surefire way to get them? I'm not sure where I could scare some up around my neck of the woods...

check out any convenience store, you could probably buy one from them for next to nothing, or if you're a regular there, they would probably give you one

Milk crates!
even my 9 yr old daughter can push full carboys around in one of those !
But you have to get those good ones from dairies not those crapy ones from wally world
work great for storing empty beer bottles as well

-Jason

Man. Ive been trying to figure out what to do with all of my bottles. They are sitting in a paper bag right now. A milk crate would be awesome! Thanks for the idea!

I just bought two 6 gal better bottles because I'm terrified of dropping a glass carboy after brewing apfelwein with my friend's glass boys.

Guess that url is too long...

search eBay....

http://cgi.ebay.com/Milk-Crates-3-Square-Size-Commercial-Milk-Crates_W0QQitemZ260408706027QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item3ca19183eb&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1205|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1308|301%3A1|293%3A1|294%3A50

Brewhauler FTW
BrewHauler.jpg

I wouldn't trust one of those. Seen to many of those plastic clips break in my backpacking days.

As everyone knows I am a newbie, but when I put my first order in with Northern Brewer something told me to order the Brew Hauler as I have a bad back. Well, when I first got all my stuff I decided to wash everything the day before brewing. I made the mistake of not putting on the Brew Hauler after filling with PBW which of course had spilled onto the outside too. I quickly saw that even to go from the side door to the cement patio, about ten feet, was going to be impossible without killing myself. I'll be honest I think that a warning about not using The Brew Hauler or a milk crate should be in the Newbie Sticky.

I ended up putting the carboy on the folded up cardboard it came in and sliding it out the door while Granny steadied the neck to keep it from tipping over. I will say cardboard comes in handy though to gently lay one down on its side to drain. I wouldn't trust even its own weight plus water or peer laying against cement.

I've now used both my glass and better bottles and I prefer the glass. After I learned about OxyClean I found it clean up quicker and appears cleaner after an over night soak. After the Better Bottle soak I still had to get out a hose I made up from parts with an extremely high pressure nozzle and give it another soak for a couple of hours.

I'll be honest I think that a warning about not using The Brew Hauler or a milk crate should be in the Newbie Sticky.

I ended up putting the carboy on the folded up cardboard it came in and sliding it out the door while Granny steadied the neck to keep it from tipping over. I will say cardboard comes in handy though to gently lay one down on its side to drain. I wouldn't trust even its own weight plus water or peer laying against cement.

I agree that should be a sticky. Another thing I think should be stickied is to warn people that if you aerate by rocking your carboy and you are using a Better Bottle, use a tennis ball under the center as advised on the Better Bottle web site - they say not using one when tilting the BB can eventually cause stress fractures and failure of the BB.

I don't lay my full glass carboy down to drain after soaking. I set a bucket next to it and siphon about half the liquid out, then, use a BrewHauler to lift it to the counter and lay it down to drain into the sink, while holding it to make sure it doesn't roll off.

I am going to second 944Play by saying: Brewhauler rocks. Only problem is the straps can slip a bit, but they won't come off!

SWMBO took one look at the Betterbottles and said, "Ewww, Plastic!"

I am in love with your SWMBO (sorry dude)

My SWMBO does not appreciate the fine art of brewing... ... :off: But should be excused due to my intoxiciateddeddeness:mug:

You're right to get a better bottle, they kick ass. I did the exact same thing as you and had to quickly convert my bottling bucket into a fermenter.

I've used milk crates since 1994.

I have over 20 carboys, but I never transport a full one without it first being in a carboy. I've also NEVER broken/dropped a carboy in all those years. :D

I also have several dolly's (Walmart $5.97) that I use when I have to move full ones across the floor or into my storage room.

NOTE the 3 - 55# boxes of DME on the large dolly on the right. This dolly holds over 600 lbs.

P5120832.jpg

Why was clean-up such a hassle? This guy would have had it cleaned up in no time.
2711616881_94fc5bc67e_m.jpg

It holds TWENTY TIMES its weight in liquid!

I made the switch to Better Bottles long ago, and don't miss glass at all. They are an absolute joy. Easier to handle & lift, easier to clean and damn near unbreakable. Don't talk to me about scratches...how the hell are you going to scratch it when nothing sharper than a yeast cell ever goes inside?!? They are simply a superior product, and cheaper now as well.

I've kept two 5 gallon glass carboys, figuring I'll use them as a secondary one day, or maybe to make some mead. If I do, they will be protected inside a Home Depot bucket, a nice snug fit. OTOH, I'll probably just use a corny for a secondary.

I've lost three glass carboys since I started. One slipped out of my dad's hands while cleaning, one was knocked over in the driveway by the neighbors dog, and the last one i broke by putting hot cleaner in a cold carboy. Now they all stay in the brew room and never leave. Very little movement. They all have handles which work great for moving as long as you support them from the base. In my opinion glass is still boss for a lot of reasons. Learn and move on. Respect is key. Sorry for your loss.
(Emphasis added)

I just don't get the deal with glass. BB are cheaper, lighter, don't break, you don't need to buy a brewhauler or milk crates. And you don't risk loosing your entire batch if you slip (not to mention personal injury).

Obviously, it's your beer, do what you want, but I just shake my head when I read things like this.

PS I have a free glass carboy if anybody lives near Tyler, TX.

I am kinda disturbed, I've used the carboy handles to move full carboys all the time, and never even thought they'd slip... I've found them near impossible to put on w/ them fully open, I never suspected they could slip off... please, someone tell me they've never had one slip off!

No, they can't slip off if you tighten them up properly. The manufacturer of the handles puts the disclaimer on them so that if someone were to pick one up by the handle and break the neck of the carboy, they can't be held liable for any injuries. I've never heard of someone breaking the neck, but I suppose its possible. In the meantime, I usually support them from the base. Better safe than sorry.

The wieght of a full carboy combined with the angle the carboy would be hangin if only carried by the carboy handle, would put the full stress of the weight pushing into the edge of the neck and cause it to break.

I've used milk crates since 1994.
I would not be trusting those flimsy milk crates. i would prefer milk crates but can't find anything besides those kind at walmart. Actually I would prefer a coldroom in my garage, 2 of those 15G HDPE Fermenters and a pump....:D

(Emphasis added)

I just don't get the deal with glass. BB are cheaper, lighter, don't break, you don't need to buy a brewhauler or milk crates. And you don't risk loosing your entire batch if you slip (not to mention personal injury).

Obviously, it's your beer, do what you want, but I just shake my head when I read things like this.

PS I have a free glass carboy if anybody lives near Tyler, TX.

BB's break if you rock them on their edge, can be scratched by use of a bottle brush, benefit from being in a milk crate since they flex when full, and juts can't be cleaned as absolutely as glass.

Each have their shortcomings, don't act like BB are the second coming.

I've never considered using glass, except for 1 gallon batches of mead. If I get rich, I'll go to stainless.

But first, I buy a sub-compact 4x4 tractor.

BB's break if you rock them on their edge, can be scratched by use of a bottle brush, benefit from being in a milk crate since they flex when full, and juts can't be cleaned as absolutely as glass.

Don't put a bottle brush in there...problem solved! It's simply not necessary, ever.

They are easier to clean than glass, crud just doesn't stick to them the way it does to glass. I haven't touched my carboy brush in over a year, but I had to use it almost every time with my glass carboys. Cleaning is as simple as vigorously rinsing, soaking in Oxiclean + hot water for a few hours and rinsing again. Honestly, I didn't believe this either, until I tried it.

I also don't understand why anybody needs to rock them on their edge. If you want to manually aerate, just pick the thing up and shake it. It's substantially lighter weight makes it easy, and it won't kill you if dropped.

Another plus is ease of storage...since they are light and unbreakable, they can be stored just about anywhere without fear of damage or injury. I hang mine from hooks on the garage ceiling, freeing up cabinet and shelf space for the heavy stuff.

I contend they are the second coming! ;)

:off: I think that guy's in jail now after that deal with the prostitute in Miami. What a ******.

cut him a f*cking break. What would you do if you were kissing a lady of the night and she suddenly bit your tongue enough to make you bleed like a stuck pig?

In any case, he's slapping his troubles away with the slap chop...

[youtube]UWRyj5cHIQA[/youtube]

cut him a f*cking break. What would you do if you were kissing a lady of the night and she suddenly bit your tongue enough to make you bleed like a stuck pig?

In any case, he's slapping his troubles away with the slap chop...

[youtube]UWRyj5cHIQA[/youtube]

There are always 2 sides to every story. I'm pretty sure he must have done something to antagonize her. Still get a kick from his mugshot TSG Mug Shot: Vince "ShamWow" Shlomi

I'll stick with my glass and brew-haulers/crates. When I had an infection run loose in the brewery I had to replace all plastic to get rid of it. I was able to keep my stainless and glass. I'd hate to have to replace 2-3 better bottles. I also think that they won't last as long as glass. I know people that are using Grandpa's old carboy, you won't hear that happening with plastic since that will fatigue with use and scratch.

Each have their shortcomings, don't act like BB are the second coming.

Your points:
1- BB can break, but are much more more difficult to break than glass
2- Why would I use a brush. PBW, hot water and time. In my experience this works better on glass as well
3- I have never needed a milk crate to move one. If you squeeze the sides you can cause problems, but that's just a simple matter of technique.
4- Maybe true, but they can be cleaned plenty well enough to brew.

The only significant complaint is that they probably can't be truly sterilized if you happen to get an infection.

They aren't the "second coming" but they are clearly better than glass. If you want to keep using glass, go ahead: You will get great beer and be happy (until you break one). I'm happy with my BBs.

L

My only complaint about the better bottles (yes, I do use both glass and plastic) is that it only holds 6 gallons rather than 6.5 gallons in glass. I have not found the need for a blow off tube in glass but it is a necessity for the better bottles. Honestly, I just hate having to replace a blow off tube after 3 - 4 uses because oxyclean can't get all of the gunk out of the tube.

Which one do I prefer? The empty one that lets me make more beer!!!

My only complaint about the better bottles (yes, I do use both glass and plastic) is that it only holds 6 gallons rather than 6.5 gallons in glass. I have not found the need for a blow off tube in glass but it is a necessity for the better bottles. Honestly, I just hate having to replace a blow off tube after 3 - 4 uses because oxyclean can't get all of the gunk out of the tube.

Which one do I prefer? The empty one that lets me make more beer!!!

This is actually an accurate complaint. It's especially true if you make 5.5 gallon batches, which I do.

Back