Aging high gravity ale in keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I plan to brew a high gravity ale (imperial stout, barley wine etc) that I would like to age for up to a year or more before force carbonating in several korny kegs.

I don't want to bottle this batch, unless it's with a beergun or counter-pressure bottler after the fact. I want to serve it from the keg with as little sediment as possible.

Should I leave the ale in the secondary fermenter for a year or is it better to transfer from the secondary after fermentation has completely stopped and maybe purge the 5 gal keg beforehand or purge the oxyegen from the top of the keg after transfering from the secondary?

I just want to know if there is a way to age a high gravity ale before carbonation in the keg or at least in a larger vessel as opposed to aging in the bottle.

This is my second post, Thanks!

You can definitely do the aging in a keg, I've done it for 12 weeks once, but there is no reason why it couldn't have gone longer. Be meticulous in your sanitation of course. It would be a good idea to purge the keg after the transfer, and to leave it at least somewhat pressurized to ensure that the lid is sealed.

That is so cool how fast I got a response!

I've been away from the home brewing community for more than a decade. It has advanced light years since Al Gore invented the internet :D

I can tell the combonation of the internet and homebrewing is going to be both wonderful and addictive.

Thanks again!

Very true. If it weren't for this website, I'd probably still be scratching my head wondering what the clear liquid on top of my cornmeal beer is.

Hahahahaha!
These days I'd say, "Siphon it off and distill it in your AmazingStill"

Another discovery, thanks to the internet ;)

Latest posts

Back