sd super yeast question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Agree, this yeast ferments out very dry with no estery flavors or aromas. Good for high-gravity beers, highly flocculant. I have made a San Diego-style double IPA with it most recently, and the flavor is almost austere. Malt comes through to a fair degree, and dry hopping aromas are very prominent.

Planning to use clove, dried ginger, cinnamon, nutmeg, and was planning to add 8oz of dark molassas in the secondary fermentation is done, Just want the flavor of the molasses not looking for additional alcohol

Cool as you know the yeast will eat the molasses if you are not able to keep it at a cold temperature. With all that flavor Sd will be fine.You could just use a pack of us-05 and save some $$ since the yeast is not going to contribute much to the flavor.

Had thought of that . The sd super is from a beer i did in july planning to brew friday, did a starter last night and it's not looking to lively, may just get some us-05 and go with that. Was planning to cold crash bring it back in side and then add the molasses then keg after a few days.

I do not think the flavor you want from the molasses is going to work. But once it is done put some in a sample glass and play with it to see if it works.

I thought of that. Using sd super from a harvest i did in july. Put it in a starter last night and it's not looking to lively right now. May end up going with us-05. Planning to cold crash and taking it back inside then adding the molasses for a few days before I keg.

You could consider a milder molasses for your brew too. Having used blackstrap molasses as a base for a root beer I made, I can offer the warning that it is a very strong flavor, almost bitter and I would not use it again. I will try a lighter molasses next time, or perhaps a natural sugar such as muscovado, which is like a brown sugar except the molasses-type ingredients have not been removed and then added back in the way commercial brown sugar is. It is completely unrefined instead.

When would you add it. I was going to transfer to my secondary then add the molasses about three days before kegging. How much do you think I should use. was going with 8 oz

Back