If only we could get rid of the big 3

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

usmc-ferg

Reaction score
We are America's true brewers. I wish we could oust the big 3. You all rock. Let's keep making great beer! Here here!

Thank god for the big 3!

If they suddenly disappeared we'd have all these beer drinkers competing for what we drink... though I suppose as homebrewers we'd be more popular than ever!

Imagine not being able to *find* Sam Adams or SNPA on the shelves!

And without their distribution networks we would all be limited to local or regional selections.

With crafts taking more and more marketshare I am more concerned with th big brewers continuing to buy out and dumb down some of the better mid sized brewers. Although, so far so good with GOOSE in my opinion.

Brobe

brobeman said:
And without their distribution networks we would all be limited to local or regional selections.

With crafts taking more and more marketshare I am more concerned with th big brewers continuing to buy out and dumb down some of the better mid sized brewers. Although, so far so good with GOOSE in my opinion.

Brobe

That's just it. Why should we rely on the big 3 to supply hardworking brewers in America

Get rid of the big 3 and the largest of the craft brewers would fill the vacuum.

Making the same compromises for large scale bulk distribution and brewing what the largest customer base would buy at a price they'd pay. American light lagers.

Only the name on the bottle would change.

The big 3 are very good at what they do and that's good for us. Each time we introduce a BMC drinker to the complexity, freshness and variety that craft brewing offers, we expand the art and further the art. IMHO an ice cold Coors on a hot day is great - the same way that some of my homebrew is great when in the right company. The BMC cartel keeps the agricultural producers busy and that keeps us in fresh ingredients so we can make rocking beers. I don't hate BMC, I respect them. My first love is craft and homebrew. There's a place for both. Win - win.

Then beer evangelism would be no fun. Always a great time showing BMC only people what real beer is.

Light lagers are a legitimate beer style. I understand that many people do not enjoy them, especially after being introduced to the world of hearty, flavorful ales, but that doesn't mean that light lagers are bad beers.

Heck, Bud brews 5 billion bottles per year, and every one tastes exactly the same. That level of consistency and repeatability is to be commended and admired, considering many homebrewers have a hard time with consistency from one 5 gallon batch to the next.

The Big 3 have their place. I know what that when I'm mowing the lawn, I prefer a close to freezing temperature Bud more than anything else.
They're successful because people like the way they taste.
What I have found since I started home brewing and my tastes have become a little more sophisticated is that I appreciate BMC more than I used to, and I can easily say that I like the way they taste, as well. Well, I enjoy Budweiser. I don't care for Miller or Coors, and never have.

American light lagers are what people who think they like beer drink so they don't have to taste beer. I honestly think most people who love bmc but can't stand craft beer are people who don't really like beer but like the idea of a fizzy alcoholic drink. I don't love all styles of beer but I do appreciate them, even bmc from time to time.

Light lagers are a legitimate beer style. I understand that many people do not enjoy them, especially after being introduced to the world of hearty, flavorful ales, but that doesn't mean that light lagers are bad beers.

Heck, Bud brews 5 billion bottles per year, and every one tastes exactly the same. That level of consistency and repeatability is to be commended and admired, considering many homebrewers have a hard time with consistency from one 5 gallon batch to the next.

Light lagers are definetly a legitimate style!! They have their place....just like every beer style. However I couldn't disagree more that consistency and repeatability are to be commended and admired. I guess maybe on a purely technical level it's cool....kind of like how Big Mac's taste the same where ever you go. I can say my beer is consistent......consistently good!! But no two batches of beer are ever quite the same. Just like when I go to a high end restaurant..you can order the Filet one week and I can gurantee that the next week it will be slightly different. Not bad...just different.

johnsma22 said:

Very true

As much as I hate to admit it, I don't think the big boys are going anywhere anytime soon. But then again, would craft beer and homebrewing be appreciated so much if they did? They have a right to sell their product as much as anyone else, but I would like to see them loosen their stranglehold on the Texas beer market. There's a few micros around, but not many, and the laws make it near impossible for start-ups unless you have an assload of capital to get you going. The laws here favor "industrial beverage manufacturers" but pretty much don't allow micros to do anything. I don't want to oust them, but I'd like to see more fairness in the legislation.

A Budweiser to me has it's place just like an IPA. Nothing tastes better than a 32 deg Bud Draft in 95 deg heat at Busch Stadium as I'm watching the Cardinals on a Sunday afternoon.

ALL beer has it's place. Just because we don't like a particular beer style, or brewery doesn't mean we have to look down on it, or those who drink it.

:mug:

Get rid of the big 3 and the largest of the craft brewers would fill the vacuum.

And then beersnobs like the OP would ***** about them...:rolleyes:

Miller and Coors are both owned by SAB. Inbev owns Bud. Sam Adams is the next biggest in the US as far as I know.

I don't care if those 3 go anywhere. I am not a fan of any of those but I would like to see the 3 tier system abolished. At the very least some changes need to be made so it is easier for breweries to switch distributors.

The issue I have has nothing to do with the beer itself. While I don't like light american lagers if someone else does then so be it. My problem is their business practices. They currently have lawsuits pending on the bigger craft breweries DFH, Sierra just to tie their money up in litigation and not allow them to reinvest in their business models. They are also one of the most powerful lobby groups in the country and control the supply and demand.

My feeling if it was a true level playing field and people were given a choice and where aware of the choice and not programed by the hype machine and marketing stunts. While their would still be a large market for BMC it would be much less.

Cheers!

One thing that hasn't been mentioned yet is the amount of money the big 3 spend on advertising/sponsoring sporting events. I like to watch sports on TV and enjoy a homebrew while I watch, but I bet without all the ad money from the big 3, a lot of sports we watch on TV might not be there.

Well the thing is, if the Big 3 disappeared, yes, there would be a very big hole to fill on many levels, but eventually the craft brewers would fill it. It just wouldn't happen overnight. Same for all the production, distribution, sponsorship, etc. Eventually the holes would get filled.

I still think that the 3-tier system s*cks.

MC

Its hard enough to find Simcoe now, lets not create any more shortages by expanding the craft beer scene 20-fold.

Inbev just bought the other half of Negro Modelo. Pretty soon it'll be the REALLY big one not the big three.

Its hard enough to find Simcoe now, lets not create any more shortages by expanding the craft beer scene 20-fold.

Don't you think if the big 3 used Simcoe, the hop farms would be growing a crap-ton more of it than they currently do? Don't you think it'd be one of the most common hops to come by in that case?

i know i've said this before- i've got nothing against anyone who makes beer and makes money making it- but we do really need to be rallying to put an end to subway. are you seriously going to ask me if i want every single thing in your little plastics buckets on my sandwich? i ordered a G-D italian- if you don't know what's on it then you have no business selling subs. why do i have to tell you how to make it? how about i just come over there and balance your books, and inspect the kitchen to make sure it's healthy and when you want to go home, i'll clean up, stack the chairs and lock the doors, because it seems like your manager is too busy with a c--k in his mouth to teach you how to put some freaking meat on some freaking bread?!!?

i know i've said this before- i've got nothing against anyone who makes beer and makes money making it- but we do really need to be rallying to put an end to subway. are you seriously going to ask me if i want every single thing in your little plastics buckets on my sandwich? i ordered a G-D italian- if you don't know what's on it then you have no business selling subs. why do i have to tell you how to make it? how about i just come over there and balance your books, and inspect the kitchen to make sure it's healthy and when you want to go home, i'll clean up, stack the chairs and lock the doors, because it seems like your manager is too busy with a c--k in his mouth to teach you how to put some freaking meat on some freaking bread?!!?

hahah! Hilarious! And I fully agree. What's wrong with the big 3? Just don't buy their beer if you don't like it...:ban:

Don't you think if the big 3 used Simcoe, the hop farms would be growing a crap-ton more of it than they currently do? Don't you think it'd be one of the most common hops to come by in that case?
Good point, although just having the craft breweries pick it up in a big way that caused the shortage this year ought to be enough to bring a little more into production.

A dank, citrusy Bud would be interesting though.

If all the BMC beer vanished overnight, who would we complain about? Maybe all the collegiality and friendliness in the craft brew industry and among homebrewers generally would go straight into the tank, and we'd all be at each other's throats. It may be that we need a bête noir, and fizzy pale astringent lager is it.

One thing that hasn't been mentioned yet is the amount of money the big 3 spend on advertising/sponsoring sporting events. I like to watch sports on TV and enjoy a homebrew while I watch, but I bet without all the ad money from the big 3, a lot of sports we watch on TV might not be there.

i don't understand the money that they do spend on advertising.. i do love their commercials (even though they have nothing to do with their product) but does a funny commercial really make you choose that brand? i would think that if it was a new brand that people had never heard of maybe it would stick in the front of the consumer's mind, but EVERYBODY knows Bud, Miller, Coors.. a funny commercial isn't going to change which brand you drink..

i don't understand the money that they do spend on advertising.. i do love their commercials (even though they have nothing to do with their product) but does a funny commercial really make you choose that brand? i would think that if it was a new brand that people had never heard of maybe it would stick in the front of the consumer's mind, but EVERYBODY knows Bud, Miller, Coors.. a funny commercial isn't going to change which brand you drink..

When you move the volume that BMC do and only three brands make up the vast majority of sales (craft is slowly gaining ground, but I believe they're collectively still a single digit percentage of total beer sales) you need to constantly try to project an image of your product being better than your competitors. When all three products taste so similar you need to resort to fancy lingo ("triple hops brewed") and funny, memorable commercials (everyone remember the Budweiser frogs?) to try to prod the consumers into buying your beer rather than the other two very similar options.

It isn't going to change which brand YOU drink.

I'm thinking it isn't going to change what I drink.

But do you seriously think that Budweiser (or McDonalds, GM, anyone else) spends billions on advertising without the hard cold facts that prove that it works? The fact is, for the majority of people, yeah- it works just fine.

It isn't going to change which brand YOU drink.

I'm thinking it isn't going to change what I drink.

But do you seriously think that Budweiser (or McDonalds, GM, anyone else) spends billions on advertising without the hard cold facts that prove that it works? The fact is, for the majority of people, yeah- it works just fine.

yeah, but their products are basically identical and their advertising is basically identical.. i would love to see one of those brands actually try something new in the way of advertising.. at least that would be more interesting.. still wouldn't sway me though, just get a different sort of chuckle while i'm watching the game

The thing is is that most people don't care what the big 3 do or sell. Well the fact is they control the beer industry. There's nothing more abolishing to the American brewer than making an acceptional product and being bought out by bud. Wheres the originality? If they're so great why don't they make all the beer they sell? Makes me wonder where the original styles came from. They all taste the same

They make beer to fit the tastes of the masses. I give Inbev a little credit for not interfering to much with Goose Island, Michelob and others they have bought up. SAB and Inbev also know enough not to let it out that they are backing brands like Blue Moon, Shock Top and others.

Back