First Saison and I have a new house Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sudndeth

Reaction score
After a rough start to this beer. Longer then expected mash, and a broken hydrometer before getting the OG. This beer came out amazing. 3711 is a beast! down to 1.003! I can't describe how good this thing tastes. I used some Lactic Acid for tartness and it sat in the primary for 4 weeks. The ferm temp started at about 72* and then when activity started I lowered the temp to the mid sixties for 3 days and ramped the temp up to an average of 72*. It's been in the keg for 1 week in the keezer. I'm going to let it sit for another couple weeks, but it's good now.

Recipe: Saison
Style: 16C-Belgian And French Ale-Saison

Recipe Overview

Wort Volume Before Boil: 6.08 US gals
Wort Volume After Boil: 5.28 US gals
Volume Transferred: 5.28 US gals
Water Added: 0.00 US gals
Volume At Pitching: 5.28 US gals
Final Batch Volume: 5.02 US gals
Expected Pre-Boil Gravity: 1.048 SG
Expected OG: 1.063 SG
Expected FG: 1.008 SG
Expected ABV: 7.3 %
Expected ABW: 5.8 %
Expected IBU (using Tinseth): 26.6
Expected Color: 4.4 SRM
Apparent Attenuation: 86.0 %
Mash Efficiency: 70.0 %
Boil Duration: 90.0 mins
Fermentation Temperature: 64 degF

Fermentables
Belgian Pilsen Malt 8lb 0oz (66.7 %) In Mash/Steeped
Belgian Munich Malt 2lb 0oz (16.7 %) In Mash/Steeped
Belgian Pale Wheat Malt 1lb 0oz (8.3 %) In Mash/Steeped
Sugar - White Sugar/Sucrose 1lb 0oz (8.3 %) End Of Boil

Hops
German Perle (5.4 % alpha) 0.75 oz Loose Pellet Hops used 90 Min From End
German Hallertauer Hersbrucker (3.5 % alpha) 0.50 oz Loose Pellet Hops used 60 Min From End
German Tettnang (4.5 % alpha) 0.50 oz Loose Pellet Hops used 10 Min From End
Czech Saaz (3.3 % alpha) 0.50 oz Loose Pellet Hops used 5 Min From End
Slovenian Styrian Goldings (2.6 % alpha) 1.00 oz Loose Pellet Hops used At turn off

Other Ingredients

Yeast: Wyeast 3711-French Saison

Mash Schedule
Mash Type: Full Mash
Schedule Name:Single Step Infusion (65C/149F)
Step: Rest at 149 degF for 60 mins

Recipe Notes
added about 10ml of lactic acid to the mash for tartness. Hydrometer broke so there was no gravity reading

Very nice!!

I'm going to make my first saison this summer with harvested yeast from Dupont bottles.

Have you ever read the book Farmhouse Ales?

Thanks guys! I've never read the book? Is it good? I like Dupont though. I've had a few Flying Fish Farmhouse Summer Ales and they're good. This might be my favorite style, well, for the moment. hahahh

The book is awesome, it goes into the history and culture of the beers, not just the technical points. I highly recommend it!

Congrats again on the awesome beer:mug:

I have ten gallons of my first Saison in the garage. Going to start in about a week drinking it. The taste from primary to secondary was incredible. Wow. Congrats.

Back