Will my cider be any good for new years?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lknbigfish

Reaction score
my first batch of edwort's will be ~2 months old by new years. i would like to take it to a party, but not if it won't be tasty.
i am planning on back sweetening with two cans of frozen concentrate before kegging.

should i plan on bringing something else?

You should taste a small sample mixed with your concentrate or maybe a little sugar.... That will tell you what you need to know...

In general, sweet will hide/cover bitter flavors.... so back sweetening is the safe thing to do.....

but taste it before you unleash it on friends....

Thanks

my first batch of edwort's will be ~2 months old by new years. i would like to take it to a party, but not if it won't be tasty.
i am planning on back sweetening with two cans of frozen concentrate before kegging.

should i plan on bringing something else?

I've started drinking my ciders within a week of pitching and always thought they were quite tasty, no off flavors.

Try some and then decide.

Let me share my experience with serving young apfelwien to people or at least ATTEMPTING to.

This is a game of patience and we are rewarded with great tasting stuff.

Hell last time I tried serving folks cider less than 3 months old they refused it. Even six. So I don't bother til it's been bottle conditioned for 6 months, and bulk aged for 5-6 months prior. I make mine around x-mas to serve the next year.

This may give you some more incentive to wait.

I have been brewing cider for somewhat over a year, and I haven't found anything that I've made that doesn't suck (nekkidness and straws not withstanding), and I was feeling pretty dismal about the whole thing. Until I came across one that had been overlooked in my disgust. I figured I'd better drink it, or at least sample it, to complete my degradation. It was surprisingly good. Really, really good. My faith in humanity was restored, and more importantly, my self-respect. So WHAT if the first batches tasted like sump water? So WHAT if small animals passed out from the smell? So WHAT if I could successfully use it as a rodenticide? Eventually, even *I* could make something ... remotely drinkable.

So I haven't given up. My patience hasn't gotten a LOT better, but now I can see what they were talking about when they kept saying to LEAVE IT ALONE.

If your results are like mine, you'll be pretty blah about the out-of-the-vessle results, and at 3 months, not much better. Bottle them. Hide them. Lock them up. Forget about them. Start another batch, on blind faith if you have to. Then start another. Set a timer or mark your calendar, or even do a Google reminder. Open one of the original puppies up and give it a sample. Compare it to the batch you're getting ready to bottle. It'll make it easier to salt them away for another day.

Personally, when young it tastes like what I imagine my pee tastes like after a trip to the cider mill, mixed with kerosene....Especially when you know how awesome it is when it is matured. After you taste your first year old bottle, you never think twice about making it and socking it away ever again.

I would only bring a little bit for folks to taste, and bring something else. And not be too hurt if folks don't like it......They will down the line.

I don't even serve mine any more until it's close to a year...but it is a matter of taste...

Let me share my experience with serving young apfelwien to people or at least ATTEMPTING to.

Personally, when young it tastes like what I imagine my pee tastes like after a trip to the cider mill, mixed with kerosene....Especially when you know how awesome it is when it is matured. After you taste your first year old bottle, you never think twice about making it and socking it away ever again.

I would only bring a little bit for folks to taste, and bring something else. And not be too hurt if folks don't like it......They will down the line.

I don't even serve mine any more until it's close to a year...but it is a matter of taste...

i have read many similar posts and they all agree.

Back