Yeah, Yeah another Bayou Classic Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Weezknight

Reaction score
Last edited by a moderator:
The SP10 is great for large pots, but if you are going to use a keggle, get the sq14 as it's bigger and can handle the size.

A couple reviews mentioned "old" tanks versus "new" tanks and the fittings don't fit. I grill with charcoal/wood only, so I'm not up to speed on propane tanks, what are they talking about?

Can't say enough about the SQ-14. Even with the 10 psi regulator, I can get my 7.5 gallons of wort rolling in about 10 minutes on full blast. I used to boil off 1.5 gallons per hour before I toned it down a bit after the hot break. :rockin:

I just got a SP-10 for $35 on Amazon w/ free shipping (It was a "scratch&dent" item, but was brand new). I haven't used it yet, but I can say the construction was much more sturdy than I expected. Can't wait to brew on it.

Also, my 40qt megapot fits perfectly on it. The megapot is very wide in diameter but sits perfectly on this bad boy.

My current burner, a Brinkman, took over an hour to get 7.9 gallons to a boil on Saturday. Granted, it was cold out (for Memphis: low 40s!), but I have had over 12 gallons going before. I ordered myself the SP10 while my wort was around 208 ...

I have the SQ14 and it can get 6.5 gallons to boil in 8-12 minutes and 11-12 gallons to boil in 15-20 minutes (depending on wort temp) Check out your local Ace HArdware....I had them order me one for $49.00. Would definitely recommend

Sounds like I may go with the SP-10, since the price seems about right. Can I just use the same propane tanks you get at the hardware stores?

Also, has anyone used the "Sentry" thermostat regulator that Bayou Classic sells?

Thanks for asking this question. I am also looking for a propane burner and will prolly go with a SQ-14 from Ace for $49.99.

I use Blue Rhino tank from Lowes without an issue. I have not seen a need for the thermostat regulator but vaguely remember wondering the same thing too at the time of my purchase. My recommendation is to hold off spending $$ on the thermostat and decide later if you need it. I can tell you it won't keep you from brewing.

Sounds like I may go with the SP-10, since the price seems about right. Can I just use the same propane tanks you get at the hardware stores?

The price was what sold me the SP10 over the 14!

And yes, you can use any of the regular propane cylinders.

Also, has anyone used the "Sentry" thermostat regulator that Bayou Classic sells?

Not sure about a regulator. I think it could be more trouble than it is worth, but I've never looked into it. I know that people who buy the burners that come with these things built in (Saf-T from Lowes) end up disabling them.

A question about the SP10:

How much propane does this thing eat during a brew day? I just fired it up to burn the paint off and it sounds like a jet engine. Someone ease my fears....please...

I don't know how similar the SP10 and the 3066A are, but I have done two brews so far with my 3066A and still have probably enough to do another brew. I'll probably get it refilled before my next brew, though cause I don't want to run out mid -brew.

-AJ

On the 3066A do you have to use one of their stock pots? It looks like the shield is made in such a way that the pot sits down inside of it. I was worried that my pots wouldn't fit. Can that be removed?

I didn't remove it, but I can still use my larger stockpot that sits on the shield. It doesn't affect the operation at all and stills get the wort boiling.

On the 3066A do you have to use one of their stock pots? It looks like the shield is made in such a way that the pot sits down inside of it. I was worried that my pots wouldn't fit. Can that be removed?

I have the same question... anyone know? I'm looking at getting the 3066A now, just to move my brewing operation outside. At some point in the future I will be moving to all grain and I want to make sure this burner can accommodate other pots.

A question about the SP10:

How much propane does this thing eat during a brew day? I just fired it up to burn the paint off and it sounds like a jet engine. Someone ease my fears....please...

I own this burner. Here's my rule of thumb...Boiling 1-5 gal turn the burner up to just below the onset of the "jet" sound. Boiling 5+ gal, turn the burner to just above the onset of the "jet" sound. I usually go 2-3 AG batches per cylinder. However, it's possible to blow through a tank in one session if you crank it 100% for 5hrs. Beware, do not put an empty pot on this thing while it's lit. I almost warped the hell out of a cheap paper thin SS pot doing this for a few seconds.

So I went ahead and ordered the SP-10. Then, on my way home, I stopped at home depot and they had 1 Bayou Classic 60-Quart Aluminum Stockpot w/ Basket (Product No. 4060). It was originally $113, and was marked down to $39 for "Quick Clearance."

Right now I'm only doing 5-gallon batches, but I snatched this up. Was this a steal? Also, will I be able to use it right away for these batches?

ETA: If it is going to be bigger then what I need, maybe I'll look to trade it with someone here for a 7.5 to 10 gallon SS?

I have the same question... anyone know? I'm looking at getting the 3066A now, just to move my brewing operation outside. At some point in the future I will be moving to all grain and I want to make sure this burner can accommodate other pots.

It's my understanding that the 3066A is just a combo package that comes with both a SP- 10 burner and a 30 qt. Aluminum pot though the black metal stand looks a little different. I don't think you can remove any type of "shield" on the 3066A's stand, but I'm sure you could just set another pot directly on top of it.

The 30 qt. pot that is included with the 3066A should be large enough to do a full boil I would think - you start with 6.5 gallons (hopefully enough headspace to do a rolling boil) - then boil off a gallon or so and end up with around 5.5 gallons.

And aluminum should be fine compared to stainless steel, correct?

And aluminum should be fine compared to stainless steel, correct?

I'm reading through the threads about SS vs. Aluminum. It seems a lot of people use aluminum, but I don't know if I'm sold on it yet.

I did just buy that 60-quart Bayou Classic pot from Home Depot (at 65% off I couldn't pass it up), and I haven't taken it out of the box. If I can't convince myself that it's okay to use (I suffer from pretty bad health anxiety) then I may try to sell it, or trade someone for a smaller SS kettle.

Can anyone comment on any of these Bayou Classic burners? Are they worth it, or should I look elsewhere?

I just did my first batch using the Sp10. I got to 210deg. in no time, but it sat there forever. I tried adjusting the valve and the air shield in every combination. From what it sounds like here, nobody else is having problems. Any suggestuions? (it was only about 20-30 degrees out)(about 4.5 gal).

I own this burner. Here's my rule of thumb...Boiling 1-5 gal turn the burner up to just below the onset of the "jet" sound. Boiling 5+ gal, turn the burner to just above the onset of the "jet" sound. I usually go 2-3 AG batches per cylinder. However, it's possible to blow through a tank in one session if you crank it 100% for 5hrs. Beware, do not put an empty pot on this thing while it's lit. I almost warped the hell out of a cheap paper thin SS pot doing this for a few seconds.

Great feedback. Thanks

Back