Fermintation Too Fast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Brewed first batch yesterday. All extract IPA, did a full 5 gallon boil, cooled to 78 and pitched yeast. Yeast was White Labs liquid which I propogated 3 times over 2 days, the last time approx. 5 hours before pitching. Shook up the yeast/starter and pitched, boy they were active! Oxygenated for 10 seconds every 15 minutes for first hour then stuck in airlock. Fermintaion evident at 2 hours lag! Full kraeusen at 5 hours, it looked foamy and healthy, 8 inches to top of 6.5 gal. carboy. At 20 hours kraeusen has dissapated to 1 inch thick still with vigorous bubbling in the airlock. After pitching temp went to 81 for about 6 hours then over next 12 hours came down to 75. Is this thing about over already? When should I rack to secondary?

Wow, that's fast. I rack to secondary when the main pancake of yeasty activity disappears...at that stage, fermentation has slowed down, and there's a pile of debris at the bottom of primary.

At those temps, I don't doubt it went fast. I'm surprised you didn't have to use a blowoff! 2 hrs is a great lag time, though.

It might have some estery flavors, but that's not a biggie. It's done when it's done!

Back